RealPagan- Paganism for the Real World

Power; 
The Magical and Mundane Kind 
*Purely educational. I want this to be available to those that are in agreement with my moral standpoint on power. This ideal is based on years of countless wisdom from magical practitioners all over. We have all seen and heard of these ethics. I feel that through these ethical CHOICES we can become more experienced at magic under this simple belief:
The universe will give you the same energy back that you have sent out. It's as if the Goddess holds your energy for a moment and chuckles with joy. With that, her mirth returns to your spirit, usually threefold (Threefold is just a term, it does not mean literally, it means multiple times).
An elephant mother protecting it's child has the capacity of power to literally crush any living creature. As it does at times become aggressive, it is as if it is programmed within it's nature to know it's limits. A simple law modernly called instinct, but perhaps, metaphysically a magic of Earth's own. Similar is prevalent in many other animals, all except one, the Homo-sapiens. One major flaw and gift, free will. 
You've heard. We are the only animal known that will deliberately destroy their own habitat. And since the past 150 years, we alone have changed the face of the planet more than any other planetary activity, cataclysm, etc. So, with this, I think we need a little 101 on Power.
LOL! Sick of reading. Just a little-lot more.
Okay:  

• For starters, power is absolutely not to be abused. Ever. It goes against nature. When you notice the tide of the ocean it represents the constant flow of in and out, projection and reception, give and receive. Notice the tide can only exist with the equal push and pull of water. Never does the pull wish the push to cease, nor the other. Always remember that power, like the tide, must give in order to receive. That is the power of nature and the nature of power.
  • It is not bane to exercise your power so long as you maintain the balance. For the power itself knows that balance is its only manifestation. 
  • When harvesting power from nature you should thank the Goddess and God for their blessing. For they are part of everything that is. When taking power from the surrounding area, plants, stones, sun, moon, water, fire, earth, air, etc, you must understand the power is theirs for a reason too. The power is not just for our gain or to over-indulge in their luxuries they have given us. The power exists for all and must be shared under the basic ethic: "Live and let live, fairly take and fairly give." Live as in be receptive to the earth to live fully. Let live as in be projective to all to ensure peace. Fairly take as in never be gluttonous and to divide necessities equally. Fairly give as in to ensure your leftovers or unvalued go to someone who can manifest their value.
  • There is no good or bad power. Power or magic is gray and neutral and good or bad is only in the heart and mind of the witch. So ever mind the rule of three and know that blame for using negative power can only be on your own conscience.
  • The universe holds a balance on it's own. Although this may be obvious (considering we are living and breathing at the moment), it is very important spiritually. What can we conclude of this? Let me use an analogy:
I remember growing up my mother would give me a huge canvas to paint with. She would lay newspaper all around the table and tell me basically to "Be as creative as you can". Of course, being very young, like 4, I would take the paint and spatter it on with without inhibition. I went wild, almost lunatic with red, blue, and eventually black as my weapons. And you know, we all seen this coming, but I thought at the time the walls, the table, chairs, and the hutch needed a bit of color and theme. So I give 'er nutz. I am plopping newly mixed colors I am sure were nameless over all I could see. "Then-your-mom-rushes-in-and-kicks-your-bu...t..." not quite, but close. She walks in with with complete awe of grief. Never understood why I would decide to stray from the space that was suitable for painting. But I did, and she was at first angry, then stressed, and then she laughs. She understood why I could do such a thing and it was because I was a creative child. (Maybe I'll call Bjork up later and see if my "Artastrophe" is still lucrative for millions. Yeah, Bjorks cool.) She brought a mop, cloths, and a bucket and showed me what to do. Thank the heavens it was water color paint, otherwise I'd still be there. 
"Clean up this mess Incantis! Clean it up now, or you'll have to be punished" she said, ultimately with love and a little impatience.
My mother held a balance here. I got an appropriate punishment for a simple act of innocent minor chaos. Our celestial rulers, whoever they may be in our minds, gave us the same canvas, our life and free will. With this, they presume we'd have the "Soft of eye, light of brush" attitude. Of course, they were aware, as all-knowing beings would be, that we would make mistakes now and then. And so, when we do, we are motivated spiritually to fix the mess we created or face the consequences.
Hence the natural law of repercussion/attraction or the others laws, like Karma and Threefold law. Earthly repercussions like guilt, pain, global warming, justice, etc.

~ I hope this can serve as a guideline for many who walk a path in Magic and Power. If you walk into any path of the common world, you mostly abide by this anyways. Unless you're a guilty criminal of high crime or an albino slaying "witch" doctor of Tanzania.       

Come to know true power. From da <3 , my brotha, wyrd! Blessed Be.
Incantis

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I personally think this:

You can lead a horse to water,but you cant make it drink.

If people cant see that there logic and opinions are flawed,they need to step back and wonder what exactly it is that these people are pointing out to them. If Incantis wants to remain steadfast in his arrogance,let him be. Eventually a life changing event will happen,and that sparkly light of realization will flash like a million suns before him...at least,i hope.

I think I hear what you are trying to say here, but where many of us are running into issues with it is that it appears that you are saying that these "ethics" that you are putting forth necessarily apply to everyone in the magical community, rather than being your particular view on the subject.

For instance, many here on this site are not Wiccan.  Since the concept of the Three-Fold Law is a Neo-Wiccan concept it would not therefore necessarily apply to those who are not either Wiccan or Neo-Wiccan.  Nor does the Three-Fold Law actually say that our actions come back to us three times nor many times over.  What I personally believe it is saying is that our actions have consequences and that those consequences effect us physically, emotionally, and spiritually.  So it is less a concrete "law" and far more a description of what happens when we choose a course of action.

Karma and the Three-Fold Law are not one and the same.  In fact they are vastly different.  You might want to chat with Sang for some clarification about what Karma is or is not.  The idea that Karma and the Three-Fold Law are identical is a common misconception and is often found erroneously stated in a lot of the basic Wicca 101 material out there.

Nor do I believe that we should be making our ethical choices based on a fear of Karmic retribution or that the Gods will punish us three-fold for our actions.  That's not a way of living ethically, that's a way of dodging our own responsibility.  We should make our choices because we have carefully considered them and then made the "right" choice according to our ethical beliefs..not because we fear being punished.

I agree that we need to treat the planet we live on with respect and care.  But to say that we have caused more damage in the past 150 years than all prior cataclysms ignores the power of nature herself to create great catastrophes.  Go back to the science texts and read about the multiple mass extinctions that nearly wiped life off of this planet long before man walked upon it.  Look at the ice ages that have extinguished life over much of the globe. Homo Sapiens is but a mere blip on the cosmic time-clock measuring the age of the Earth.  We may well be gone as quickly as the dinosaurs and the Earth will go on with something new. 

Ethics is something that I think more of us need to be carefully considering.  Ethics are not about laws or rules but rather about our own internal sense of what is right or wrong.  That's why it is important for each of us to spend some time and think about what that means to us.  And I think you will also find that what is ethical in one situation may not be in another.  We can say, for example, that stealing is wrong.  But if a man's children are starving and he has no other way to feed them is it still unethical for him to steal a loaf of bread?

I highly recommend to anyone interested in thinking more about the subject of ethics some books on the subject that I personally have found useful:

"When, Why...If" by Robin Wood

"Ethics for the New Millennium" by the Dalai Lama

"Living With Honour; A Pagan Ethics" by Emma Restall Orr

"Pagan Virtues; An Essay in Ethics" by John Casey

Look, everyone, Shawn, Lark, Strata, Ron, etc I am very very sorry. I meant no offense, truly. I sincerely apologize for being annoyed and arrogant.

I just don't know how to respond. These are things I live by. It affirms my beliefs in the idea of Gaia as a whole living thing, and not separate.
I know we have had completely different circumstances and events that lead us all to what we are now. I am a follower of Wicca and I could not doubt that even for a moment. I believe what I believe.

And Ron,
"I personally think this:

If people cant see that there logic and opinions are flawed,they need to step back and wonder what exactly it is that these people are pointing out to them. If Incantis wants to remain steadfast in his arrogance,let him be. Eventually a life changing event will happen,and that sparkly light of realization will flash like a million suns before him...at least,i hope."

I am sorry you think I am arrogant and bluntly flawed. I can't think of anything else to say. Will no one see how condescending that was? I have practiced Wicca for 10 years and I make no claim that I know more or better than other.

Can no one defend me or just understand that maybe it's valid to those that validate it into their beliefs? Can there be no respect for beliefs on these social communities?

Really though, let's end this. I don't want you to dislike me and I don't want be in constant defense mode. I believe what I believe, that's final on my part.

Thank you,
Incantis

P.S. I am sorry. Really I am.

Incantis,

I don't think that anybody is attacking you here, and please don't take it as such..  Remember, it is very easy to project emotions or meanings onto words... assume that people actually want to help you, or actually want to talk to you about things and not attack your beliefs.

I *DO* have issue with a few of the things you've presented as universal truths, and I stated which ones and why..  They're more assumptions and opinions, that will probably change in time as you learn more.

I would like to ask you to see the definitions in use on this site, as well, as the term "Wicca" is very clearly defined there:  http://realpagan.net/forum/topics/definitions-in-use-on-this

People have pointed out some things for you to read, to look over, to look into, and *make up your own mind.*  That's all.  Do so.

Incantis L'huayk said:

Look, everyone, Shawn, Lark, Strata, Ron, etc I am very very sorry. I meant no offense, truly. I sincerely apologize for being annoyed and arrogant.

I just don't know how to respond. These are things I live by. It affirms my beliefs in the idea of Gaia as a whole living thing, and not separate.
I know we have had completely different circumstances and events that lead us all to what we are now. I am a follower of Wicca and I could not doubt that even for a moment. I believe what I believe.

And Ron,

If people cant see that there logic and opinions are flawed,they need to step back and wonder what exactly it is that these people are pointing out to them. If Incantis wants to remain steadfast in his arrogance,let him be. Eventually a life changing event will happen,and that sparkly light of realization will flash like a million suns before him...at least,i hope."

I am sorry you think I am arrogant and bluntly flawed. I can't think of anything else to say. Will no one see how condescending that was? I have practiced Wicca for 10 years and I make no claim that I know more or better than other.

Can no one defend me or just understand that maybe it's valid to those that validate it into their beliefs? Can there be no respect for beliefs on these social communities?

Really though, let's end this. I don't want you to dislike me and I don't want be in constant defense mode. I believe what I believe, that's final on my part.

Thank you,
Incantis

Incantis,

I'm not annoyed with you.  Nor do I have any issue if what you posted is your personal ethical belief system.  As I have said, we each must come to understand what we believe for ourselves.  I think much of this debate could have been avoided if you had made it clearer that this was your personal belief system and not seemed as if you were putting forth a universal truth.

Don't worry about whether others will always agree with you.  They won't you know.  And just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean that you have to change your belief system...though it might be a useful thing for yourself if you would at least consider some of the words offered to you as other ways of viewing the situation.

No one can validate or invalidate your personal beliefs and ethics except yourself.

Incantis L'huayk said:

And Ron,

Thank you,
Incantis

Saying sorry is not needed, unless your post is deliberately offensive, which it is not.

Incantis, you are free to believe however you like, and to have any ethics you like.  However, when you present things as truths, or you use existing terminology wrong. i.e. The Three-Fold Law and Karma, you are going to get some responses.  And you are going to be asked for sources, and not just the names of authors.  But how those authors writings lead you to your findings.  I.E.  What about Cunningham's work lead you to the conclusions you have presented here?

You can believe anything you like, but when you post it in a public format, expect to be questioned.  You should be ready to elaborate.  If it's something you truly believe in, you should be comfortable with that.  Again, pointing out areas in which you might be wrong, is NOT condescending. 

Incantis L'huayk said:

And Ron,

Thank you,
Incantis

Thank you. I will keep this in mind Lark. I certainly love to learn more and I'll take this as a learning experience :)

Really though, you guys were just trying to open my mind to other ideas and I let pride get in the way. I am sort of humbled at the moment...

Thanks guys. Instead of over-reacting I'll read and have an open mind. For in my ignorance I though my mind was open, even to criticism, but I was a bit closed.

From now on I'll take things with a grain of salt and be open to new idea.

Blessed Be,

Incantis 

Strata said:

Saying sorry is not needed, unless your post is deliberately offensive, which it is not.

Incantis, you are free to believe however you like, and to have any ethics you like.  However, when you present things as truths, or you use existing terminology wrong. i.e. The Three-Fold Law and Karma, you are going to get some responses.  And you are going to be asked for sources, and not just the names of authors.  But how those authors writings lead you to your findings.  I.E.  What about Cunningham's work lead you to the conclusions you have presented here?

You can believe anything you like, but when you post it in a public format, expect to be questioned.  You should be ready to elaborate.  If it's something you truly believe in, you should be comfortable with that.  Again, pointing out areas in which you might be wrong, is NOT condescending. 

See...there you go sweetie....humility is much more rewarding than pride....that is when true learning and growth begin:)

~Nobody stands taller than those willing to stand corrected~ William Safire

Incantis L'huayk said:

Thank you. I will keep this in mind Lark. I certainly love to learn more and I'll take this as a learning experience :)

Really though, you guys were just trying to open my mind to other ideas and I let pride get in the way. I am sort of humbled at the moment...

Thanks guys. Instead of over-reacting I'll read and have an open mind. For in my ignorance I though my mind was open, even to criticism, but I was a bit closed.

Blessed Be,

Incantis 

Strata said:

Thanks Jennifer! I certainly stand corrected. Thank you for reasoning with me in this discussion to. You made very good points. :)

Jennifer Renee said:

See...there you go sweetie....humility is much more rewarding than pride....that is when true learning and growth begin:)

~Nobody stands taller than those willing to stand corrected~ William Safire

Incantis L'huayk said:

Blessed Be,

Incantis 

Strata said:

Im not attacking you Incantis,if i wear,you'd be in tears,trust me. what i am asking,however,is that you exlpain more in depth these ethics that you say you live by. You are projecting the image,from your ethics,that the rest of the Pagan/Wiccan community lives the way you explained in this post.

That is not entirely true,we are pointing out accuracies in your information,going off of what WE know and what WE have experienced. We are trying to help you Incantis,alot of pagans and wiccans nowadays seem to wander around with falsified information and practices,and we are only trying to clarify things to the way they should be. Having only been a witch for four years,even i will admit i came onto here with silly ideas and such,but i learned to let them go,but im not saying you cant have fun in your practice,lol. Conclusion,Incantis,accept our help for what it is,or you can reject it,its all up to you. I personally,however,would like to see you learn something from this. Blessings.

See,i have no problem with you Incantis,you remind me alot of myself,lmao,however weird that is???

All im doing is pointing out that you need to at least consider the ideas and concepts presented here by others. We think its awesome you have found your own path (summons clapping and loud thunder).

I truly apologize if i seem harsh or blunt,i have been doing that lately to people,so its not just you,lmao. Must be the weather or something....

Incantis L'huayk said:

And Ron,

Thank you,
Incantis

Reply to Discussion

RSS

CURRENT MOON

© 2011   Created by Sangraal

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Sign in to chat!
The Pagan Top Sites List