RealPagan- Paganism for the Real World

Ok so I'm not 100% if I can claim all the years that I was Wiccan because in the household I was raised I could study Christianity or nothing at all. So I need a little information with pretty simple subjects, but so far I know one person I thought I could help has proven hopeless in that. What crystals should be used to enhance what Amethyst is the only one I know even the slightest thing about, does it matter what candles I use for certain rituals, or is it specific. I'm thinking there are things I need to know that I don't even know I do, so anything you think you could help with would be awesome.

Tags: crystals, help, new

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For information about using crystals and other stones in your workings I would suggest "Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem and Metal Magic" by Scott Cunningham as a good basic place to start Another useful book is "Love is the Earth" by Melody.  And there's a useful website at http://www.thatcrystalsite.com/guide/properties-glossary.php

As for candles, what is important to remember is that as with any other tool you might use in ritual  the candle is merely a tool.  What is truly important is what your believe and think.  If you believe that a specific color is necessary for a specific ritual then it is.  I think you will also find that most candle burning rituals will also indicate that if nothing else is available a white candle will do.  You might want to try "Practical Candleburning Rituals" and "Advanced Candle Magic" both by Ray Buckland.  Here's a list of some of the possible candle colors and their correspondences:  http://www.mindspring.com/~stardancer/candmag3.htm

If I might ask (so I could offer some other suggestions) how long have you been practicing Neo-Wicca and what books have you studied so far?

Es, chill out a bit, you are not facing an emergency. There are a lot of us here, Lark, Shawn, Oak, Steve Paine, me, etc. who are willing and able to assist you in a case by need situation. Try to ask specific questions based on current needs rather than requesting blanket, non-specific information.

There is good information available to you here.

If I were you, and I sometimes are, I would check Beginers Circle on this site first (before asking alot of questions without really knowing which answers I'm looking for) :)

Then, you can also check Trad and training

It's a great place! Happy reading.

*Neiges*

I risk sounding too "whimsical" about things... but for correspondances there are few hard and fast "RULES". Use what speaks to you and what seems to work for your purpose. I am not saying that a person should just use WHATEVER, wherever. There are a ton of sites and books that will say "use yellow for happiness, green for prosperity, blue for wisdom... etc" - that wont help you at all if you have no understanding of WHY each color represents each intent. Try to did deeper before you use a certain color, stone, etc, and try* to find the origins of where they got these correspondences from.

For example, why is red associated with love? Personally- from what I have red (hehehe er Read) I think that it has a lot to do with blood. There are only a few instances historically that a person would be seeing their own blood. Beyond nosebleeds- it was only in injuries, menstruation, the loss of virginity, and childbirth. Today "sex" and "love" are more separated in our culture than in the past. Fertility was known to be directly connected to menstruation, and obviously sex and childbirth. Additionally the heart was known to carry/pump blood and the "feeling" of love seemed connected to the heart. When you fall; in love- your heart beats faster, when love is lost- your heart LITERALLY aches. (or that is how it feels). When you were in love. your blood itself was "in love". When wto people came together and created new life, those bloodlines came together through the "act of love" to create a new person. So, when asked "why does red, and not purple or green stand for love? The answer lies in your blood. (but don't take MY word for it)

That is one example, and any useful correspondence can go through the same sort of examination. Keep in mind that these things are NOT necessarily cross-cultural. White in western culture often represents purity, cleanliness, etc - and we wear white wedding dressed for this reason. However, in Japan white would NEVER traditionally be worn as a wedding dress because it represents death and mourning. If you tend to work within a specific culture or pantheon, you'll want everything to work together, which means that your correspondances should generally "match" the culture that you are working "with"- if possible.

If you are using stones... look into gemology and the history of each stone. Try to find the myths and legends behind WHY stones are believed to have certain "properties". Also don't be afraid to look at new evidence and science to find the deeper "meaning" of a stone. For example, diamonds *could* be an aid in spiritual or emotional "transformation". Diamonds can be 'transformed' from coal through the application of heat and pressure (or "work" over time). Diamonds transform light and redirect it- by acting as a prism. People wear diamond when their lives are transforming- during engagements and marriages. Consider looking at any "correspondence" from several angles- historical, mythological, and scientific.

In the end do whatever WORKS for you. This doesn't mean just go do "whatever"- but instead, after careful consideration and study, decide what speaks to you and use it- until or if you learn something to persuade you otherwise. When working alone, personal symbolism is just as important as "general symbolism". If you are working in a group- feel free to use "standard" correspondences (according to your culture or tradition) but MAKE CERTAIN that everyone understands WHY they are being used in the way they are.

Don't feel bad if you aren't well versed in these things. It is better to truly and deeply understand why you do 2-3 things, than to be able to spout off 150 correspondences without UNDERSTANDING any of them. Whatever you do in ritual, do so mindfully. Any person can read a book that says "pick up athame and draw a circle in the air three times" - but only people who UNDERSTAND why they are doing what they are doing- on a deep level, will be able to unlock the hidden "keys" in their actions. 99% of 'wicca- new age 101" books won't tell you THAT. Although the reasons why a specific tradition does things a certain way may be oathbound- a little bit of digging (think mythology and archeology) can help ANYONE find at least some of the deeper meaning and purpose behind each symbol. If you don't have a REASON to do something or use something , then throw it out until you do!

Good luck and I hope this helped!

-Megan

Love the attitude ari,lmao.

Arimesis said:

Es, chill out a bit, you are not facing an emergency. There are a lot of us here, Lark, Shawn, Oak, Steve Paine, me, etc. who are willing and able to assist you in a case by need situation. Try to ask specific questions based on current needs rather than requesting blanket, non-specific information.

There is good information available to you here.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

CURRENT MOON

© 2011   Created by Sangraal

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Sign in to chat!
The Pagan Top Sites List