looking for more advanced Wicca books to read/beyond 101

Hello all,

I have been studying on and off about Paganism (NeoWicca) for about four years now. I have read:

Simple Wicca

Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner

Living Wicca

The Magical Household

Drawing down the Moon

The Spiral Dance

Witch crafting and Book of Shadows by Phyllis Curott

the Meaning of Witchcraft by Gerald Gardner

The Witch's God and Goddess

read some of the Complete Book of Witchcraft by Buckland

I know about the Wiccan Rede, Law of Return, the sabbats, esbats, elements, the basics of grounding and centering, casting a circle, rituals, etc.

What I am searching for now is a somewhat structured plan of study that goes beyond the basics. Something that talks about ethics more or explains why we do certain practices, something that really makes you think about your beliefs and how you fit into the path. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Views: 700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Greetings, Moon Beam

Anything on the sacred texts webby any good for you perhaps? 

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/

Have you checked out the WitchVox stuff?

If you follow it through from start to end, I think it might help...

Part I: So You Wanna be a Witch  http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usfl&c=basics&id=2881

Part II: The Beginning Practice Phase  http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usfl&c=basics&id=2883

Part III: The Rhythmic Practice Phase  http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usfl&c=basics&id=2884

Part IV: Integrity: Making a Commitment  http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usfl&c=basics&id=2887

I wish you well on your path  Xx

Here are some books that I'd suggest:

"Castings" by Ivo Dominguez

"A Study of Witchcraft" by Deborah Lipp

"Devoted to You" by Judy Harrow

"The Elements of Ritual" by Deborah Lipp

"Path Through the Labyrinth" by Marian Green

"The Other Side of Virtue" by Brendan Myers

"Covensense" by Patricia Crowther

"Wicca Covens" by Judy Harrow

"Gerald Gardner and the Cauldron of Inspiration" by Phillip Heselton

"Witch Father" by Phillip Heselton

"Religion Without Beliefs" by Fred Lamond

"Spiritual Mentoring" by Judy Harrow

"The Pagan Book of Living and Dying" by Starhawk and M. Macha Nightmare

"Kissing the Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World" by T. Thorn Coyle

Three books that aren't really advanced books but which contain a plan of study that might be helpful are:

"Wicca; A Year and a Day" by Timothy Roderick

"A Teaching Handbook for Wiccans and Pagans: Practical Guidance for Sharing Your Path" by Thea Sabin

"A Witch Alone" by Marian Green

I think these will help you get started.  Remember that once you get beyond basic books on Wicca some of the best reading you will do won't necessarily be in books on Wicca

Thanks Lark, I will look into all of these books. Do you have recommendations for books to read outside of Wicca?

Sure, here are some recommendation for readings not specifically Wiccan:

Theology:

"Pagan Theology; Paganism as a World Religion" by Michael York

"A World Full of Gods: An Inquiry into Polytheism" by John Michael Greer

"The Deities Are Many: A Polytheistic Theology" by Jordan D. Paper

Ethics:

"When, Why...If" by Robin Wood

"An Ye Harm None: Magical Morality and Modern Ethics" by Shelley Rabinovitch & Meredith MacDonald

"Living with Honour" by Emma Restall Orr
"The Other Side of Virtue" by Brendan Myers

"Ethics for the New Millennium" by the Dalai Lama

Living Mindfully:

"The Miracle of Mindfulness" by Thich Nhat Hanh

"Living the Mindful Life" by Charles Tart

History:

"Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles" by Ronald Hutton

"Stations of the Sun" by Ronald Hutton

"Triumph of the Moon" by Ronald Hutton

Personal Transformation:

"Make Magic of Your Life: Passion, Purpose, and the Power of Desire" by T. Thorn Coyle

"Kissing the Limitless" by T. Thorn Coyle

Magick:

"Modern Magick" by Donald Michael Kraig

"The Veil's Edge" by Willow Polson

"The Path Through the Labyrinth" by Marian Green

**Chuckle** that should keep you busy for a bit.  Let me know if there are any particular areas you'd like to explore that I haven't mentioned.

Lark, wow, thank you very much for all of the book recommendations. It should keep me busy for quite some time. I will let you know how it goes and if I think of any other areas I would like to study. Thanks again.

Great post! I love all of these book suggestions. I am in the middle of reading The Elements Of Ritual, and I absolutely love it!

As you can see there is always something more to read, lol, but think about what you can do also. As a recon I am always trying to live a life that is inseparable from my path. I see my devotion at work at home and everywhere I am. Moving forward with this understanding really helped me to get beyond feeling very "101", so to speak.

May I recommend Wicca 333: Advanced Topics in Wiccan Belief and Wicca 334: Further Advanced Topics in Wiccan Belief, both by Kaatryn MacMorgan. There are a lot of things that seem to repeat themselves in all the books, I have noticed however, these books have a little more information and detailed explanations, just my opinion... Mab

Thank you Mab for your suggestions, I will definitely check those books out.

Blessings to you!

While something can certainly be gleaned from many books that are otherwise inaccurate, I will point out here that Kaatryn MacMorgan is not herself Wiccan but rather an eclectic Witch.  So looking at her books for advanced information on Wicca specifically isn't going to be particularly helpful.

This may have already been said, but anything considered "advanced Wicca" absolutely will not be found in a book but will be found in a group practice. You've definitely found a great resource by finding this site and the people on it.

I do want to say thanks to the people who did add books to the list though... I snagged a screen shot. ;)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Steve Paine created this Ning Network.

© 2016   Created by Steve Paine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Pagan Top Sites List