Okay so I'm working on creating some interesting reference materials for personal use.  The document I'm currently working on has to do with various runes and writing systems that have classically been used in magic.  Many of these writings systems to function on an alphabetical basis but a pictographic basis such as egyptian and cuneiform.  Now Obviously I'm not going to take the time to make a complete translation of language for me to reference but I was planning on making translations into various languages (specifically languages that use a different alphabet so modern german doesn't apply). 

The Question I have is can i get some people on here to make suggestions of word lists and phrases that are commonly used in spells? Example

wisdom

knowledge

peace

love

protect

"grant me"

"give him/her"

help

power

pray

etc.

Many of these words are consistantly used in rituals.  So a basic magical translation can be used so that if you like cuneiform or are using a babylonian based system you can use cuneiform characters for focus.  What are some other words or phrases i should add? And what Languages should I include my current language list is as follows;

Old Germanic     Egyptian          Incan

Celtic               Cuneiform        Mayan

Greek               Sandskrit         Aztec

Latin                Hebrew

Many of these depend on whether or not I can locate an accurate source.  I also intend to include a few "magical" alphabets such as agrippa's angelic, the alphabet of the magi and enochian (yes I know agrippa has 3 I intend to include all 3). If anyone is interested I would be more than happy to email or post it on the site probably in installments and I don't know how far I'll get or how long.  Right now I want to know what I should include in phrases and languages. They may not be PERFECTLY accurate but they will probably be close enough to be useful to anyone who is into this stuff. 

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you need any help with Greek, feel free to ask me. :) I *am* Greek after all. ;)
Fantastic idea. Words are power.

I can cover Sanskrit as I use it very often in ritual (puja). Many of those words I already know and adding to it will even benefit myself. I can also assist with Enochian, being that it is quite prominent on my playing field. :)
You may wish to specify "celtic", as the languages can differ as much as the cultures. For example, Irish and Scottish gaelic differs, and then there is Welsh. Personally, I cannot tell one from the other as the languages confound my senses-- but, I do know they differ.

Well said that chap! As a Welsh speaker i have no idea what a Scots or Irish Celt are saying and they couldn't understand eachother or me. And when the Bretons in France have a go....and the cornish......well there are a few of us celts out there ;-)

Sangraal said:

You may wish to specify "celtic", as the languages can differ as much as the cultures. For example, Irish and Scottish gaelic differs, and then there is Welsh. Personally, I cannot tell one from the other as the languages confound my senses-- but, I do know they differ.
Actually I am HOPING (I am not sure how likely it is but i'm going to try) to work with Gaulic myself as that seems to be the height of the celtic influence to me.
The Celts, originally, were not only in the British Isles.
The Celtic people, were, originally, covering not only all of Gaul (central Europe area) but also most of the Iberian Peninsula, and as far east as Anatolia.
What I think Ralakk is actually looking for is the Hallstatt and La Tène Celtic cultures/language. That is to say, Proto-Celtic of Central Europe.

Yea, we moved around a bit! From the middle-east to as far west as you can go in a small boat! (",) It’s probably why in my current job I spend so much of my life on the road!

Good luck with the Gaulic stuff though Ralakk, I'd be very interested in anything you find on it. As a Welsh speaker I'd love to know how different it is to modern north Wales welsh (which is different from modern South Wales Welsh, lol).

A mother of a friend went to a convent school as a girl which was run by Breton nuns, and the school song was in their dialect, she sang it for me and it was weird, I kind of knew it but had no idea of the words, it was strange, all the sounds were correct (see my blog for that) and the rhythm was right but I just couldn't "hear" the words, It was like I'd had some form of head trauma and had forgotten how to speak!!

It is amazing how fast a language grows/changes; just a few hundred years or a few hundred miles and it is a totally different thing! Well, Chaucer illustrated this in the Canterbury tales!

I love accents and it’s a joy in my job when going from one area of the UK to another and hearing the radically different accents, “local” words and the speech patterns.

Well, as I said Ralakk, if you need any help on Welsh translations, mutations or structure just drop me a line.

Pob Lwc (Good luck)…(ok, it means “every luck” but it’s what we would say as “good luck”, ooh, you see, you can’t ever directly translate a language and keep it the same!! Lol)

Anyway, Pob lwc a Bendithion.

Grayson (Mabllwyd)

I have no idea why the last post came out with a black font! Nothing to do with me!! (",)

I

appreciate all the offers for help from people.  Most of the languages I originally intended on using were mostly dead languages or used only for religious purposes.  I think I will expand the language list probably to a few forms of insular celtic since i've had so much offers for help with that. What I really need at the moment is lists of words and/or phrases that are commonly used in magical ceremonies.  My current list is as follows:

Give

I

He

She

They

Magic

Power

Luck

Love

Blessing

Money/Riches

Knowledge

Wisdom

Peace/Tranquility

Balance

Grant

Pray/Prayer

Lust

Banish

Good

Evil

Protect, Protection

Shield

Barrier

Physical Strength

Tree

Life

Heal

(relative animals to each station)

Me

We

Help

Aid

Fire

Water

Wind

Earth

Spirit

Mind

Heart

Sight

Feeling

Emotion

secret

hide, hidden

freedom

mercy

law

possibility

world

realm

death

Wrong

Right

Miracle

Hurt

Pain

Wound

Disease

Sickness

Create Creation

Slave

Eat

Drink

Sleep

Happiness

Joy

Sadness

Sorrow

Teach

Grant me/us

Give Me/us

I Call/we call

Teach me/us

Let it be

I Pray/we pray

Bless me/us

Bless him

Bless her

We Prey

my power

your power

That's off the top of my head.  Anything else anyone think should be there?

The previous post by eruandil Was actually made by Ralakk, eruandil was still logged in on my computer and I didn't notice until I had already posted it.
Hahaha. Sorry about that, Ralakk. I meant to log out. XD
Also, I'm not seeing "Will" on your list. Am I just missing it?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Steve Paine created this Ning Network.

© 2016   Created by Steve Paine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Pagan Top Sites List