So I am an eclectic pagan and yet I have never truly specified, dedicated, or otherwise worshiped or worked with any particular God or Goddess. My prayers and spellwork are usually simply directed to "the" Goddess which I feel is simply the entirety of the feminine creative energies of the universe. I believe that all gods and goddesses are aspects of "the" God and Goddess and the God and Goddess are simply two halves of the same whole that is the energies that flow throughout everything. Yet, for a little while now, I have been feeling the need to specify a particular goddess, a patron deity, or just perhaps a goddess for specific work or aspects of my life. One of the most important aspects of me is that I am a mother. Therefore, I looked into mother goddesses. For some reason Demeter really stuck out from all the rest for unexplainable reasons. So I still have not really worked with her. Recently, my daughter has been having a really rough time. I'll spare details, but she's getting therapy. Once again, Demeter came to mind and it seemed I should call to her. However, I believe in knowing your deities before you play with them and also in their original cultural personalities and attributes rather than what they're painted now to be. The Greek Gods were petty and fickle and easily offended from what I've been able to gather over the years. Also, Demeter's daughter was forced to descend, year after year into the underworld. Not sure I want to relate my daughter to Persephone. Logically it doesn't seem like a match and yet I keep coming back to Demeter and feeling drawn to her. I read somewhere that she's a good goddess to call upon when feeling overwhelmed by the demands of motherhood and with four girls I am definitely overwhelmed. Lol. I would appreciate anyone sharing any information they might have or books or sources you may know of with information about Demeter and Persephone/Kore and working with them. Any information or books on the Eleusinian mysteries would be helpful as well. Other suggestions for protective, loving mother goddesses are also welcome. Please help. Thanks for reading. :)

Views: 558

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Merry Meet Holly,

I am not sure that I can really help but I will try. I am really drawn to the Greek gods and goddesses but I am also really drawn the Egyptian gods and goddess as well. I just haven't found many that I can work with yet. I primarily worship Gaia as my mother goddess. But I have done and set up altars for: Aphrodite, who I call upon frequently, Hathor, Apollo, and Artemis. It is okay to call upon Demeter if you feel the need. If she is calling to you she obviously has a lesson or lessons to teach you. Because of this is why I called on Aphrodite for the first time. I would set up a small altar for her with an offering such as, Wheat, bread, honey, or acorns. Either write down or talk with her about what is going on in your life and what you want guidance from her. Open your self to her. I found this interesting sentence about Demeter Specifically: "Although it was the custom of the  Greek goddesses and gods to become very vindictive toward anyone who failed to honor them    in a dignified fashion, Demeter was such a kind goddess that she seldom utilized this privilege."  I hope that eases your mind a bit about your easily offended comment.

Got some of this info from www.goddessgift.com I really hope this helps you.  Here if you need me. Message me anytime here on RP. Goddess Bless,

Ms. Witch

Thank you so much for your kindness and help. That really does ease my worries about accidentally offending her. It seems that perhaps a kind and gentle goddess is appealing to me at this time of need in my life to aid me with my troubles and to gently help me learn how to work with individual deities and better know all the aspects of the Goddess. Aphrodite honestly scares me. Lol. She seems to be such a passionate and fickle goddess and very easy to offend and her vengeance and wrath can be terrible. I have never known her personally, but based on the legends, it seemed she even punished those who did not directly offend her. Simply being beautiful enough that someone might praise your beauty as comparable to hers could have your beauty stripped in some fashion or your life made terribly tragic. I understand that there are creative and destructive aspects to all things and perhaps Aphrodite meant to teach humility, but I surely would not wish to offend her in the least. A friend of mine attempted to invoke Aphrodite once and appealed to her with a binding love spell directed at her careless and abusive boyfriend. He became so obsessive that when she left him, he tracked her down and nearly killed her. He had not cared whether she left or not before and had tried to get rid of her many times, thus why she casted the spell. I do understand that this was misuse and I even advised her against it, but that memory has stuck with me as a reminder to be careful of what powers I employ and to always use my energies for healthy and productive things and never never never tamper with free will. I am interested to hear how you work with Aphrodite however and your experiences with her and other deities you have worked with. I am sure they will be a more positive example than that of my friend. I am going to try to step outside of my comfort zone and work with Demeter. Perhaps it will help if I remember that she is an aspect of my kind and loving Mother Goddess and that I have been lead to her for a reason that is undoubtedly for my betterment and learning. Being so kind I am sure she will understand that I am learning much like a child and will gently show me the way. I feel that perhaps we already share some sort of bond in the fact that we are both fiercely dedicated mothers and that she called heavily around a time that my daughter is going through a bit of a dark time in her life much like Demeter's own daughter experienced to a grander scale. Not all of the details relate, but maybe she wishes to help. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your advice. I use this site via my crappy Droid and am not sure how to send personal messages with the mobile version, but I will try. Thank you for your help and blessings to you and yours. :)

Holly,

My husband and I have been together for a long time already ,even though we've only been married a short time. We have been together for 6 years and been the best of friends for 10+ years. We were there for each other through bad relationships and mistakes. A few years ago our relationship hit a very tough spot. Life was very hard and stressful and we both questioned everything. We had really bad break up before we got together. I ended up being visited by a wild rabbit in my drive way. I was pulling into it after work one morning and there was a rabbit on the side of the yard. I watched it for a moment and then looked away to fetch my purse and  keys. When I looked up again the rabbit was gone, by gone I meant that I couldn't see it anymore, so I assumed that it hopped away. When I opened my car door there it was standing on its hind legs staring up at me only  a few feet away. I talked with it for a moment. Nothing like this had ever happened to me before with a rabbit. Then I had a dream about a rabbit a few weeks later. This was a strange dream as the rabbit was a stone structure kind of like a gargoyle(only thing I can think to compare it too) and it was near a rose bush and a cypress tree. The rabbit statue was talking to me, as it wasn't actually speaking to me but I heard its voice in my head in my dream. It said to me, "I have a lesson for you" So I began doing some research over a course of a few weeks. During this time our relationship was on the rocks and I left offerings of apples outside for the rabbits everyday.  During my research I discovered that all we symbols associated with Aphrodite. The rabbit, the cypress tree, and the rose bush. The rabbit being on of her animals, the cypress tree also meaning grief and the rose bush meaning love. (I was still grieving the loss of my previous relationship even though my husband is my first love and I still loved him very much at this time my ex just had this unhealthy hold on me, even though we hadn't spoken to each other in years. But the rose bush telling me that that love for my husband was their beneath it all. We would survive this. So I decided to take the plunge and set up an altar for her. I used a Grecian goddess like statue to represent her, it best describes how I think she looks in my eyes. An altar cloth with rabbits on it and a special Goddess Aphrodite blend of non combustible incense that I made just for her. I also burned a cedar candle placed a small rabbit figurine on my altar, a cedar box with a rose on it full of rose quartz and a generous offering of wine and apples, and bread. I just sat down before my altar and meditated for a bt I also began to talk with her about everything that was going on.  All of this to honor her! I was sure to generously thank her for listening And my husband and I broke out of our slump and are married and still happy today. I will occasionally still pray to Aphrodite and thank her for blessing me with such a wonderful Husband and a life full of love. Hope this helps!

Wow. That's an amazing story. I'm so happy for you and your hubby. Your advice from personal experience is really helping me feel a little more comfortable with about taking the plunge. I have cats and kids and kinda cramped living quarters at the moment, not to mention financial strain so setting up an elaborate altar may be a little complicated, but if I give it my best it should do. I'm sure any deity that appeals to me at this time understands my circumstances. My call hasn't been as strong as your experience that I've noticed. I've just felt drawn to her and interested. Each night for a couple of nights now as I go to sleep I've asked her if she is calling me, if she wants to teach me, and I've had strange dreams that are hard to remember upon waking. All I can remember of them is a jumble and faint ideas of some sort of shifting or transformation. I'm not sure what that means, if anything, but I will continue to try until the message is more clear. Thank you so much for your help.

Please keep in mind that I did not spend a lot of money on this altar. I used things that I already had around the house. I know that sometimes that is hard to do. I also have cats and our house is small. We will have to move before we can start a family so I do not have an altar set up at all times either. I am here to help any time. 

Holly said:

Wow. That's an amazing story. I'm so happy for you and your hubby. Your advice from personal experience is really helping me feel a little more comfortable with about taking the plunge. I have cats and kids and kinda cramped living quarters at the moment, not to mention financial strain so setting up an elaborate altar may be a little complicated, but if I give it my best it should do. I'm sure any deity that appeals to me at this time understands my circumstances. My call hasn't been as strong as your experience that I've noticed. I've just felt drawn to her and interested. Each night for a couple of nights now as I go to sleep I've asked her if she is calling me, if she wants to teach me, and I've had strange dreams that are hard to remember upon waking. All I can remember of them is a jumble and faint ideas of some sort of shifting or transformation. I'm not sure what that means, if anything, but I will continue to try until the message is more clear. Thank you so much for your help.
Hmm. I'm going to have to dig around here in our masses of odds and ends and see if I can find some things. I'm not sure what kind of stone she would like. Maybe citrine or moss agate? I'm considering growing poppies in her honor too. I think I should decorate in greens, golds, and maybe fallish colors. Perhaps spring colors too because poppies come in many colors. I thought about daffodils and pomegranates too since they're sacred to her daughter, but those are also the things that entrapped her daughter, so I'm not sure if that would be offensive.

According to goddessgift the website I posted before poppies, and sunflowers, daisies, and oak and foxglove are all good, sunflower or daisies may be easy for you to find. Silver, sardonyx, cats eye, carnelian, amber and copper are good stones and metals to use. Colors: Green, gold, dark brown, pink and navy blue. So even if you have fake flowers in these colors or fabric in one of these colors and or a picture of poppies or sunflowers. Acorns come from oak trees so even if you could find a few for an offering or a couple oak leaves. A cinnamon or patchouli candle would work well or even a candle in one of those colors mentioned before. An offering can be anything, wine, milk, honey, bread, cheese, an orange slice. Then just leave that outside as an offering to her. Don't fret, if you are feeling this connection with her I do not think offense is something you need to worry about. Best of luck, let me know how things go and as always here if you need me. Goddess Bless to you and yours.

Holly, Blessings and Welcome....

Might I make a simple suggestion?

Take the time to fold a paper in half and on the left side right down all the qualities / lessons that you feel have drawn you to Demeter. Include the pieces of the dreams you do recall, even if they seem to have no pattern or valid meaning.... Then on the right side, make notes of the similarities to your own life and how you think there are similarities and/or differences. Sometimes what draws us, are things that are almost so right in front of us, that we bypass them as trivial... Yet, they hold much more meaning, than we initially would have ever given them credit for. Lastly, once you have done your list, place it under you pillow, possibly with an amethyst to help, and see if you have a clearer understanding the following morning as to why Demeter has suddenly become a strong focus....

On a more personal note, one thing I offer, you have referenced that your daughter is experiencing difficult times and you have been helping her seek a solution....It seems to me that Demeter, also loved beyond measure, and sought to do the same....

Goddess Blessings to you and yours... May you find what you seek... Love and Light !!!! MJ )O(

Holly,

It has been a few days since you have posted. I was wondering how everything was going for you and your daughter.

Blessings!

In my experience Demeter is most strongly associated with agriculture and farming, so it may be that She calls strongly to you at this time of year simply because The Mabon is just along the turn of the Great Wheel, and the full on Harvest season soon approaches. 

I agree that if your Daughter already faces "issues" it may not be wize to forge strong connections with this particular cluster of Godesses at this time, and you are totally right to listen to your "gut instincts" on this.

Far be it for me to say who is and who is not "THE" one to follow, but I can't help feel you already know the answer in your heart of hearts.  You just need to let your intuition shine more brightly in the darkness and show you the way.

I would advise a spot of flame gazing, or water gazing...  and keep ALL your senses fully open for the answer for it may come to you from any of the six directions.

Good luck xx

Sorry all for having been away so long. I have been pretty busy lately, my sister just had surgery to tie her tubes and I've been watching her little ones for the past few days, etc. My phone (which is my means of being here) is having charging issues and wants to die even plugged in so I've been babying it and trying to pamper the battery. I do have a bit of news though and am grateful for all the new posts in my absence. :)

Sara: Wonderful! I think I already have some foxglove seeds and a piece of amber. The amber is in a"mojo bag" right now, but I know where to get another piece. I also happen to like copper and silver. I thought about getting and planting some cornflower too just because they're so pretty. I also have a few different colored candles and cinnamon and patchouli scented ones as well! I found out through reading that cinnamon is one of her spices and thought it a little strange because for a while before my sudden urge toward her I had been using cinnamon a great deal in small candle prayers to the Goddess. It was meant to bring prosperity and help our finances, but perhaps Demeter was my answer? I would also like to share a bit of an epiphany that I had a few days ago. I was reading about the Demeter "type" on a website, I believe it was actually goddessgift. I fit many of the personality traits and attributes. My daughter fits a few for Persephone as well. So I didn't think much of it at first, but after thinking on it a while, it suddenly hit me that I have gone through stages in my life from Kore, to Persephone, and now to Demeter where I am now. It made sense all of a sudden and I could see the parallels. I'll try to blog about it or explain in more detail later as
Crap! It posted before I was done and someone called and obliterated the rest I'd typed in the response box. Anyway, I was saying...as I'm typing on a phone. The only part that I really kept having trouble with was that Demeter is listed as a "vulnerable" goddess and has been a victim a few times. Because of things that have happened in my life, I have trouble with being vulnerable or anywhere near the possibility of being a victim. I have trouble expressing emotion to anyone but my children because of this. I have a very patient man now that works with these scars and lovingly tries to help nurture my trust. So this last thought/revelation hit me like a ton of bricks. Everything I have learned about being strong and standing up for myself, all the wisdom I have gained has largely come from being vulnerable or victimized in one fashion or another. I also realized that although I cannot suddenly shoot forth with the spring blossoms of love and affection, that now it must be worked and tended, does not mean that it is worse or not as good as the flowery stuff that shot up for others that they walked all over. This kind of love, at this time in my life isn't as flowery and dramatic and requires gentle work and nurturing, but can grow and thrive to fullness and the fruits of its harvest be more useful and filling than just the pretty flowers of spring. So I went to bed that night asking Demeter if this was something she was trying to teach me or if my mind was simply running on. The next day I hadn't thought about it much, but began thinking on it on the drive back home from my sister's surgery. I also thought about how we learn and teach each other many times just by living and being ourselves. Being around one person may teach us patience, another may teach us trust, etc. These thoughts dwindled as I came into town and ran errands for my sister before taking her home. When I got her home and stepped out of the car, there was a small dove feather laying not far from my feet almost unnaturally propped against the step and very clean and pristine for the rainy, muddy weather we've been having. So I picked it up and brought it home to read later that the dove is one of Demeter's birds as well as Aphrodite's. I'm thinking that was a subtle sign. Yesterday I sat down and began a letter to her and I believe I will bury it in my yard. Where outside is one supposed to leave an offering? Does it matter? What about ants and bugs and possible stench? My daughters are doing ok. We're having to drive out of town for their therapy because they don't have an in home therapist that serves this area, but I really feel the therapy may help. Thanks for the concern.:)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Steve Paine created this Ning Network.

© 2016   Created by Steve Paine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Pagan Top Sites List