RealPagan- Paganism for the Real World

Romanian lawmakers on Tuesday voted against a bill aiming to counter the pernicious effects of witchcraft, a text which had angered many fortune-tellers ans clairvoyants.

"I am very disappointed, the bill was meant to prevent people from being deceived by so-called witches," Liberal-Democrat MP Alin Popoviciu, who initiated the bill, told AFP.

Under the text, fortune-tellers and clairvoyants were to be licensed, pay taxes and set up professional associations.

"The bill angered many witches who threatened to cast a spell in order to make it fail. It seems they have succeeded," Popoviciu added.

But the government too seems to have sided with the witches as it called on MPs to vote against the bill, fearing it would "make witchcraft legitimate".

Popoviciu however said he would not give up on his idea and would try to find another way to get it passed by parliament.

Tags: Romanian, bill, witchcraft

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Im so glad this didnt pass it was nothing more than a veiled attempt to pursecute the Roma,something that goverment has been doing all to oftenas of the last few years.

Sadly Ana, the Roma have been pursecuted for centuries even in this modern era they aren't seen as Romanians, not even part of the people.  So I'm glad this bill didn't pass because then they'd have to suck up and face the fact the Roma are Romanians too (which they are of course, but the people refuse to acknowledge that and still pursecute the Roma.)

Bendithion,

Jen

Katarina Ana (Wolfes Bane) said:

Im so glad this didnt pass it was nothing more than a veiled attempt to pursecute the Roma,something that goverment has been doing all to oftenas of the last few years.

Legitimizing them would have not been that bad then, so they could be recognized as Romanians...

But I have a feeling it was much more in the sense to have a list of the Witches to better persecute them later on..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

CURRENT MOON

© 2011   Created by Sangraal.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Sign in to chat!
The Pagan Top Sites List