RealPagan- Paganism for the Real World

Power; 
The Magical and Mundane Kind 
*Purely educational. I want this to be available to those that are in agreement with my moral standpoint on power. This ideal is based on years of countless wisdom from magical practitioners all over. We have all seen and heard of these ethics. I feel that through these ethical CHOICES we can become more experienced at magic under this simple belief:
The universe will give you the same energy back that you have sent out. It's as if the Goddess holds your energy for a moment and chuckles with joy. With that, her mirth returns to your spirit, usually threefold (Threefold is just a term, it does not mean literally, it means multiple times).
An elephant mother protecting it's child has the capacity of power to literally crush any living creature. As it does at times become aggressive, it is as if it is programmed within it's nature to know it's limits. A simple law modernly called instinct, but perhaps, metaphysically a magic of Earth's own. Similar is prevalent in many other animals, all except one, the Homo-sapiens. One major flaw and gift, free will. 
You've heard. We are the only animal known that will deliberately destroy their own habitat. And since the past 150 years, we alone have changed the face of the planet more than any other planetary activity, cataclysm, etc. So, with this, I think we need a little 101 on Power.
LOL! Sick of reading. Just a little-lot more.
Okay:  

• For starters, power is absolutely not to be abused. Ever. It goes against nature. When you notice the tide of the ocean it represents the constant flow of in and out, projection and reception, give and receive. Notice the tide can only exist with the equal push and pull of water. Never does the pull wish the push to cease, nor the other. Always remember that power, like the tide, must give in order to receive. That is the power of nature and the nature of power.
  • It is not bane to exercise your power so long as you maintain the balance. For the power itself knows that balance is its only manifestation. 
  • When harvesting power from nature you should thank the Goddess and God for their blessing. For they are part of everything that is. When taking power from the surrounding area, plants, stones, sun, moon, water, fire, earth, air, etc, you must understand the power is theirs for a reason too. The power is not just for our gain or to over-indulge in their luxuries they have given us. The power exists for all and must be shared under the basic ethic: "Live and let live, fairly take and fairly give." Live as in be receptive to the earth to live fully. Let live as in be projective to all to ensure peace. Fairly take as in never be gluttonous and to divide necessities equally. Fairly give as in to ensure your leftovers or unvalued go to someone who can manifest their value.
  • There is no good or bad power. Power or magic is gray and neutral and good or bad is only in the heart and mind of the witch. So ever mind the rule of three and know that blame for using negative power can only be on your own conscience.
  • The universe holds a balance on it's own. Although this may be obvious (considering we are living and breathing at the moment), it is very important spiritually. What can we conclude of this? Let me use an analogy:
I remember growing up my mother would give me a huge canvas to paint with. She would lay newspaper all around the table and tell me basically to "Be as creative as you can". Of course, being very young, like 4, I would take the paint and spatter it on with without inhibition. I went wild, almost lunatic with red, blue, and eventually black as my weapons. And you know, we all seen this coming, but I thought at the time the walls, the table, chairs, and the hutch needed a bit of color and theme. So I give 'er nutz. I am plopping newly mixed colors I am sure were nameless over all I could see. "Then-your-mom-rushes-in-and-kicks-your-bu...t..." not quite, but close. She walks in with with complete awe of grief. Never understood why I would decide to stray from the space that was suitable for painting. But I did, and she was at first angry, then stressed, and then she laughs. She understood why I could do such a thing and it was because I was a creative child. (Maybe I'll call Bjork up later and see if my "Artastrophe" is still lucrative for millions. Yeah, Bjorks cool.) She brought a mop, cloths, and a bucket and showed me what to do. Thank the heavens it was water color paint, otherwise I'd still be there. 
"Clean up this mess Incantis! Clean it up now, or you'll have to be punished" she said, ultimately with love and a little impatience.
My mother held a balance here. I got an appropriate punishment for a simple act of innocent minor chaos. Our celestial rulers, whoever they may be in our minds, gave us the same canvas, our life and free will. With this, they presume we'd have the "Soft of eye, light of brush" attitude. Of course, they were aware, as all-knowing beings would be, that we would make mistakes now and then. And so, when we do, we are motivated spiritually to fix the mess we created or face the consequences.
Hence the natural law of repercussion/attraction or the others laws, like Karma and Threefold law. Earthly repercussions like guilt, pain, global warming, justice, etc.

~ I hope this can serve as a guideline for many who walk a path in Magic and Power. If you walk into any path of the common world, you mostly abide by this anyways. Unless you're a guilty criminal of high crime or an albino slaying "witch" doctor of Tanzania.       

Come to know true power. From da <3 , my brotha, wyrd! Blessed Be.
Incantis

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Incantis,

First let me state that I do not consider myself a guilty criminal of any crime, nor any kind of albino slaying witch doctor etc.  I find that a little bit insulting, that you label such on any that do not have the same beliefs as you.

While I appreciate what you are saying, and I know that some people do feel that way, I do not.  In fact, many do not.  Some of the things that you've listed here as "Laws," are really nothing more than your opinion (or an opinion you've read, etc.)

In terms of "power," who is it that determines what is abuse?  Is getting more money for yourself such?  What about healing yourself?  How about if you kill a virus in your system etc by healing?  What about if you get a job, and someone else doesn't? 

In terms of the three-fold "Law," I think you might be a little confused there too.  I suggest that you take a look at this post:  http://realpagan.net/forum/topics/the-witchs-rede-the-threefold 

Humans do, in fact, display instinct all the time.  This is where things like greed, fear, etc come from sometimes.  There is motherly instinct, which is a perfect example.  How about your own sex drive?  So I'm not sure where you're getting that we're different than animals in terms of instinct...  Animals have the capacity to act based on other things as well.. But then I guess it depends what you call instinct. 

Next, I would argue that we do not intentionally destroy our habit.  Instead, some people (most perhaps,) stupidly or ignorantly change their habitat, usually through over-use.  Nor are we the only animal to do so.. this is one common thing out there, called "overpopulation."  We humans, however, have adjusted to this, by changing the environment to suit our needs, moving, etc...  But we'll eventually either die out, or learn to live in balance within the system we live.

As far as the last 150 years though?  I would say that there's been a HUGE number of events that have done far more change to the earth than we have... look at the ice ages.  Dinosaurs dying out?  There's a couple..

There are many people that do not believe in a god or goddess, especially as a sentient (let alone all knowing,) being.  

Lastly, I don't think that Karma means what you think it means...  it is an eastern concept, out of Hinduism I believe, but you could talk to Sangraal if you're interested in that (it's not something I've ever studied in any great depth.)

"This ideal is based on years of countless wisdom from magical practitioners all over."

Which magical practioners?  Would you mind stating your sources for reference please?  Thanks!

"*Purely educational. I want this to be available to those that are in agreement with my moral standpoint on power. "

It's okay to disagree. But I wrote this for those that find solace to use and pick what they need.

I know what Karma is, I studied it in school.
I don't claim anything. Same as, no one goes on our profile Bio and says we are full of it. And I certainly would not go on to anothers post, while degrading it on site, and tell them they are wrong. We are sharing a faith whether you know it or not based on ideas, and these are mine.

You may have different ethics, but it is a science. People in our society are running by their natural guilt and conscience, I mean I don't care what you say that's quite a hard thing to dispute. Unless like, I said, there is someone reading this who have no conscience basically. What's wrong with that? It was simply a statement.

I find it hard to accommodate all people, Shawn. In fact, it's more impossible than a matter of effort.

This is merely one pagan to another saying "It's okay, let there be peace where there is disagreement."

No conclusion can be found here, I have tried to reply to these before and get exhausted. So this is my only post back, I am a busy fellow :)

It is said people who are comfortable with their confidence, will almost always succeed. Those that are comfortable with their faith, need only "I" and "I" alone.

I just need me to feel my faith for myself and if I help others along my way, then great.

I could easily pick one of your discussions and find things I find erroneous or irrelevant, but I wont. Mostly because I kind of just don't want to. I take no joy in it.

You could take your favorite book and author and still disagree with many things they say and not be over critical with them, merely because you have agreements.

Well I authored that note on this Pagan site, which is basically a giant book of sorts, and you can merely flip the page. Unless you claim you are greater in faith and wit than I?

Consider it poetry. If you don't like it, move on to the next piece :)

Peace be with you. I hope you may see my hidden self-preserving surrender within. You win.

Incantis
*Purely educational. I want this to be available to those that are in agreement with my moral standpoint on power. 

Incantis, you appear to not understand the purpose of the discussion forums.  They are for discussion.  Discussion often involves someone pointing out where you are wrong. This is, in fact, often how we learn and grow. It does not involve you making a post and then refusing to discuss it further, outside of "well you don't agree with me." If you are not willing to discuss your posts with those that disagree or point out blatant errors, I would discourage you from posting in forum again.  Maybe you should keep your opinions in a different venue.  Here you will be expected to be open for discussion.

Why did you post in general discussion, if you did not wish to discuss the post?

Slan,

Strata

Incantis L'huayk said:

"*Purely educational. I want this to be available to those that are in agreement with my moral standpoint on power. "

It's okay to disagree. But I wrote this for those that find solace to use and pick what they need.

I know what Karma is, I studied it in school.
I don't claim anything. Same as, no one goes on our profile Bio and says we are full of it. And I certainly would not go on to anothers post, while degrading it on site, and tell them they are wrong. We are sharing a faith whether you know it or not based on ideas, and these are mine.

You may have different ethics, but it is a science. People in our society are running by their natural guilt and conscience, I mean I don't care what you say that's quite a hard thing to dispute. Unless like, I said, there is someone reading this who have no conscience basically. What's wrong with that? It was simply a statement.

I find it hard to accommodate all people, Shawn. In fact, it's more impossible than a matter of effort.

This is merely one pagan to another saying "It's okay, let there be peace where there is disagreement."

No conclusion can be found here, I have tried to reply to these before and get exhausted. So this is my only post back, I am a busy fellow :)

It is said people who are comfortable with their confidence, will almost always succeed. Those that are comfortable with their faith, need only "I" and "I" alone.

I just need me to feel my faith for myself and if I help others along my way, then great.

I could easily pick one of your discussions and find things I find erroneous or irrelevant, but I wont. Mostly because I kind of just don't want to. I take no joy in it.

You could take your favorite book and author and still disagree with many things they say and not be over critical with them, merely because you have agreements.

Well I authored that note on this Pagan site, which is basically a giant book of sorts, and you can merely flip the page. Unless you claim you are greater in faith and wit than I?

Consider it poetry. If you don't like it, move on to the next piece :)

Peace be with you. I hope you may see my hidden self-preserving surrender within. You win.

Incantis
*Purely educational. I want this to be available to those that are in agreement with my moral standpoint on power. 

Hey Strata! :) Of course. Keep in mind I am human and through my decade of practice I have meshed my ethics from many sources. As most people do. 

Also, as I have also observed many authors, people, and works are rather scrutinized terribly for their, I don't know actually...I just don't scrutinize authors, people, and their works I guess lol

- Scott Cunningham

- Teresa Moorey

- Raymond Buckland

- Silver Ravenwolf

- Timothy Roderick

- The Mi'kmaq tribe and their religious history (if you want all the information for this just say so, I live beside Canada's largest Mi'kmaq settlement.)

- My mother

- My father

- My grandmother

- My friends

- Other life circumstances

Tell me, where do you get your ethics Strata?

Strata said:

"This ideal is based on years of countless wisdom from magical practitioners all over."

Which magical practioners?  Would you mind stating your sources for reference please?  Thanks!

I actually found this to be quite irritating.

Icantis,

I don't really think Shawn's response was an effort to pick apart you or your faith. I think a good way to understand a person's point of view is to ask questions and to offer your own view of things. After all, if you didn't want your point of view discussed than you likely wouldn't have posted it in a discussion forum.

Perhaps instead of taking offense and "surrendering" you could open up to other views. You can't expect your beliefs to be accepted if you don't accept the opposing beliefs of others. While you present this writing as an "educational" piece does that mean there is no room for your own learning? Have you experienced all there is in the world to know your opinions are right no matter what anyone else says? I honestly don't think anyone here could claim that and to question our beliefs gives them strength.

Also it is known here that if you make statements about something you should be prepared to discuss them and yes, even defend them. It doesn't mean back down, change your mind, cower before others...it means provide explanations, proof, sources, and reasoning. I am a teacher, a professional educator, and I know no one can learn anything without having the opportunity to challenge the knowledge.

Incantis, I'll start by saying that I don't get my "ethics" from authors, at all.  My ethics are of my own creation.  Then I'll go on to say, that you really *should* scrutinzed authors.  Why would you not??  You are just going to base your ethics on whatever, whoever says because they got published??  Incantis, discernment is a very valuable tool. 

For instance, you do not seem to have a very good grasp on what the Three-Fold Law really means.  Shawn linked you Oakthorne's post.  You should really check that out.  If you want to believe that everthing you put out is returned "multiple times" that is perfectly fine.  But that is not the Three-Fold Law, and should not be called such.  In addition, Karma is far to complex for a concept for you to have studied it thoroughly in school.  I suggest you give it a deeper look.  Contact Sangraal for a Hindu perspective or Jason for a Buddhist perspective.

You are 18, no?  Incantis, I recommend branching out a bit.  In a decade of "practice,"  most practitioners would have moved well past SRW and Scott Cunningham.  Listen to those whose point out your possible errors, you might learn something.  And at just 18, I surely hope you are not done learning...
Incantis L'huayk said:

Hey Strata! :) Of course. Keep in mind I am human and through my decade of practice I have meshed my ethics from many sources. As most people do. 

Also, as I have also observed many authors, people, and works are rather scrutinized terribly for their, I don't know actually...I just don't scrutinize authors, people, and their works I guess lol

- Scott Cunningham

- Teresa Moorey

- Raymond Buckland

- Silver Ravenwolf

- Timothy Roderick

- The Mi'kmaq tribe and their religious history (if you want all the information for this just say so, I live beside Canada's largest Mi'kmaq settlement.)

- My mother

- My father

- My grandmother

- My friends

Strata said:

But I clicked the button thinking I was going to discuss, considering it said "Discussion". I must not be understanding the issue...er...? 

Discuss: To speak with another or others about (www.wordnik.com/words/discuss)

Debate: To engage in argument by discussing opposing points (www.thefreedictionary.com/debate)

Yes Incantis, discuss.. WITH others... that means you can't say I am not going to talk about this anymore.  This means you discuss with everyone, not just those who share your point of view. Also, debate is often a PART of discussion, and is not only acceptable on this site, but encouraged as a way for members to learn and grow.

Merriam-Webster::

Definition of DISCUSSION

: consideration of a question in open and usually informal debate
: a formal treatment of a topic in speech or writing

http://dictionary.reference.com

dis·cus·sion

[dih-skuhsh-uhn] Show IPA
–noun
an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., esp. to explore solutions; informal debate.
Incantis L'huayk said:

But I clicked the button thinking I was going to discuss, considering it said "Discussion". I must not be understanding the issue...er...? 

Discuss: To speak with another or others about (www.wordnik.com/words/discuss)

Debate: To engage in argument by discussing opposing points (www.thefreedictionary.com/debate)

I am truly sorry. I meant not to irritate. 

Fortuna Deus(Ron) said:
I actually found this to be quite irritating.

I am 20, #1.

#2 You have no right to condescend me as you did, as I have not done the same to you. It is understood I am allowed to express myself within the limits of this sites rules. If you deem otherwise, I would like to be aware of this. If I am confident in my faith why the need to criticize others...I am a more 'let be' type person.

Ova and out..

Strata said:

Incantis, I'll start by saying that I don't get my "ethics" from authors, at all.  My ethics are of my own creation.  Then I'll go on to say, that you really *should* scrutinzed authors.  Why would you not??  You are just going to base your ethics on whatever, whoever says because they got published??  Incantis, discernment is a very valuable tool. 

For instance, you do not seem to have a very good grasp on what the Three-Fold Law really means.  Shawn linked you Oakthorne's post.  You should really check that out.  If you want to believe that everthing you put out is returned "multiple times" that is perfectly fine.  But that is not the Three-Fold Law, and should not be called such.  In addition, Karma is far to complex for a concept for you to have studied it thoroughly in school.  I suggest you give it a deeper look.  Contact Sangraal for a Hindu perspective or Jason for a Buddhist perspective.

You are 18, no?  Incantis, I recommend branching out a bit.  In a decade of "practice,"  most practitioners would have moved well past SRW and Scott Cunningham.  Listen to those whose point out your possible errors, you might learn something.  And at just 18, I surely hope you are not done learning...
Incantis L'huayk said:

- Scott Cunningham

- Teresa Moorey

- Raymond Buckland

- Silver Ravenwolf

- Timothy Roderick

- My mother

- My father

- My grandmother

- My friends

Strata said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

CURRENT MOON

© 2011   Created by Sangraal

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Sign in to chat!
The Pagan Top Sites List