Most all of us have heard this word, in full-form or variation. A good number of us, at one time or another, may have even been labeled it or had fluffy qualities to us. Hell, even I was rather the Magician o' Fluff in my budding magical days. I recall the ideas I had of summoning legions of spirits to full tangible form to do my bidding. I still smile upon my naivety during those days.

What is a "fluffbunny"? In a nutshell, it is a person of magical practice that believes in ideas that are either unrealistic or, well, completely wrong. By unrealistic, I mean the idea of having 'powers' that would defy natural law and all probability. Usually, it is among those that believe, wholeheartedly, "anything is possible with magic". They will argue you into a coma that, if you believe hard enough, you can fly through the air or launch fireballs from their hands. It's usually just newbie naivety, but it can become frustrating.

And, there are those that have picked up on ideas, often of historical perversion, and without researching their authenticity, run with them like Prometheus when he brought fire to mankind. Such prominent among those ideas are "The Burning Times" and the lore of the "Ancient Wica". Both ideas can be a somewhat romantic notion to believe, one in a grissly way and the other using age to validate religion, but both are equally untrue and likely won't disappear anytime soon.

The more classic use of the term applies to those that overdose in the idea of "love and light", believing paganism to be purely an entity of unbreakable happiness- that there is nothing really 'dark' in the world. It's rather delusional, we can agree, and such ideas are usually shattered upon their first forum post in an open online community.

The ideas within magical practices can really capture the imagination- and they should! However, the power of symbol should not override one's logical facilities, but rather work hand-in-hand with it. Because we all learn at a different pace, some may hold steadfast to ideas considered "fluffy" a bit longer than others. It is then that we understand that fluff is simply an early developmental phase in one's practice.

So, is "fluffbunny" an insult? No, not really. If you find yourself under that label, like so many before you, don't take it offensively- take it as a challenge! Take it as an obstacle to overcome as you shed illusionary ideas and fictitious events to ascend into spiritual truth. It's not synonymous with being stupid, it's just saying you still have a ways to go.

Is there anyone out there that may further elaborate upon the term or, perhaps, brave enough to confess of their own fluffy days?

Views: 476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

-applauds- well spoken hon. I love it :-*
Okay...I admit I am a 'Love and Light' kind of girl...LOL...I am very optimistic and I always try to see the brighter side of life...so if that makes me fluffy than so be it;) There's no place like home... There's no place like home..*clicking my sparkly red heels together*....
I agree that the fluffies are just naive in the craft, a growing phase. I rather appreciate the term cotton candy witches to define the love and light fluffs...sickeningly sweet with no substance (Jennifer, there is great hope for you...) and then there is yet another classifiication of fashion witches, the playgans who want to look the part but who haven't got a clue.
Jennifer, there's nothing wrong with being optimistic. That, in and of itself, isn't characteristic of fluff. It's more those who believe the 'real world' to be unicorns and fairy dust, that there is truly no wrongs in the world- because they believe so. It's more of an escapism from reality than a stage of development in some cases and, of the three examples, the least healthy. I don't think you fall anywhere near there. :-)
I, too, was extremely fluffy when I started out. At times I still find myself with a few characteristics of fluff.

Recently, I transferred my BoS online, starting with my first entries when I found the Craft at 13. Ugh! I almost didn't make it through those notebooks of entries because of the massive amounts of *headdesks* that occurred. I'd go on for pages about how my teachers in Catholic school would surely burn me like those poor witches of the past, how I was surely the reincarnation of some powerful witches, theories that my family was fully of witches in hiding just waiting for my "powers" to show themselves, etc. It was pretty darn bad. That level of fluff only lasted for about one or two years. Then, I grew out of the theories of blood witches, the ancient religion of Wicca, and the Burning Times onto the "I read a few Silver Ravenwolf books, so now I can start a coven and call myself a High Priestess" phase of fluff. No one could have hoped to teach me anything then. It wasn't until I was about seventeen that I started reading anything with any reliability and realizing how fluffy I had been.

The thing that troubles me is what has grown from the idea (or practice of some people) that "Fluffy" is an insult. Sure, it's used by some to mean such, but I really like what you said, Sang, about it being a call to action, a challenge. What's come from that is the "fluffy community". There are a bunch of youtube videos and posts on other Pagan sites about how people are proud to be fluffy, thinking that anyone who is optimistic, nice, and enjoys the lighter side of life is fluffy. This tends to encourage anyone who is called a fluffy to think that it's ok, even beneficial to them to be fluffy, only having that definition and not the real one at their disposal. A true understanding of what is meant by "fluffy" is needed, which is why I love this post.

I usually define it similarly to what you said with the love and light and belief in anything because we can do anything we want with magic. What irks me is when it is used to describe all newbies because, though it is a common phase newbies go through, not all newbies are like this. It also irks me when it's used to describe those that don't want to learn. Though some fluffies are like this (as I discussed I was during my fluff stage), it's not what defines a fluffy.
Well I'm glad I appear to have a strong grip on my mental faculties;)...Sang..just as there are 'fluff bunnies' that seem to be just skipping merrily through life, it seems that there are just as many that portray paganism in a dark and morbid way, and are constantly expressing negativity. Spirituality is something that should make us feel happier and more fulfilled and balanced, but there are many that just never seem to reach that level of spirituality.

Sangraal said:
Jennifer, there's nothing wrong with being optimistic. That, in and of itself, isn't characteristic of fluff. It's more those who believe the 'real world' to be unicorns and fairy dust, that there is truly no wrongs in the world- because they believe so. It's more of an escapism from reality than a stage of development in some cases and, of the three examples, the least healthy. I don't think you fall anywhere near there. :-)
"I recall the ideas I had of summoning legions of spirits to full tangible form to do my bidding."

had to laugh at that part a little. :) I think the majority of us have been "fluffy" at one point, and it's all the more pleasing to know that growth and progress has been made once the "fluffy" label has been surpassed. :) lovely post.
Oh, it gets worse for me. I totally bought into the Burning Times shpill. I mean, Starhawk (at that time) said it was true. R*venwolf (le gasp!) said it was true. There was even a song about it. Therefore, it had to be true. I was all political about it after having learned the fiery truth, as I perceived it, and I wanted others to know about it, too. I remember, at 18, in a computer lab in Fort Sam Houston Tx, preparing my manifesto for the release of this imprisoned truth from the hands of Evil Rome, complete with demonstrations, press releases, etc. *gives self facepalm* This was me, of course, whom in the previous year in high school, was fed up with the inbred Teens4Christ group and attempted to form a Teens4Wicca movement. LOL.

At some point, I got over myself. I cannot recall at what point I realized I had been misled. I do not think I held onto it very long. What I do know that at the turning point, I decided I would do my best to prevent others from being wrapped up in such folly and here I am today. The whole point in spilling my embarrassing past ideas, for future newcomers, is if you are shown to be wrong about something, no big deal. Suck it up and drive on. Most of us, indeed, have believed in silly things. That's okay. What is *not* okay is clinging to easily disproven ideas, being belligerant about it when met with facts and responding to your illuminator with snide remarks. Being full of fluff is being a tadpole, cute and somewhat slimy, on your way up in the pagan world. You'll find yourself with your feet on the ground later on so long as you keep evolving.
*ahem* I.... was ..... fluffy.... there, I said it... phew!
LOL
I consider that a phase or something you go through. The main reason many go into paganism or witchcraft, or whatever path you follow, is the idea that anything is possible. And after being told that witchcraft is evil, then finding out that OMGosh maybe its not!!! YAY for thirteen year olds because they imagine a world of Harry Potter. That is not a bad thing though, in my opinion, because at that age you are simply learning new things, and coming out of the age of being told that Santa bought you that bike for christmas. So I agree, Sang, that we all go through the fluffy stage. Its basically all the dreams you have combined and the excitement that there might just be a religion for you! I know thats how I felt. And I have come into chat and have been "ripped a new one", perhaps by you?? :D But I am thankful for that because as I learned, my logic kicked it, and now all is well in my world..
I hardly practice right now. But being a Luciferian and reading Michael Ford does scream DeathEater (not traddie but actual death eater out of Harry Potter.) And it takes a bit of getting used to, learning to decipher which is ACTUAL and which is simply metaphorical etc etc. But anyway, I ramble.
I love the term Fluffbunny, and I love the term defluff... therefore I am a defluffed fluffbunny. tongue twister? HEHe.
(Excuse the grammatical errors, Ive only been texting on my phone and just recently got internet... )
Blessings,
Dru
I was a fluff too, and like Elyria, I didn't really read more than four pages of $RW before my brain barfed, but I totally thought (and in some minute areas still find that) Cunningham was inspirational. I wasn't really the "magic does everything for me" kinda former fluff, but rather the "we all can and should get along and hold hands and sing about a bottle of coke cola" kinda former fluff. I went through my "Catholics are evil" phase, but once I got out of high school and went off to college, that mindset really went away for me. Many of my friends and sorority sisters are catholic, or part of another Christian denomination, and they had no real issue with what I believed, so it made me wonder why I had issues with their theology...

That brought me to reading more, and realizing that hugging everything in sight can be good and there isn't always a negative to being open, but that time spent reading made me define my own beliefs, and I realized that some of them were not so bright and pleasant like dear old Scott's were. It was like leaving a part of my overly blinded eyes behind and really reading those books over again with a sense of discernment, being able to have the courage to disagree, but more so with disagreeing, the balls really to ask why I didn't agree with those ideas, really reaching, branching, and embracing the new ideas and beliefs I was establishing for myself.

I graduated college and for a while I was content with what I believed, but then I got on to WT, met all of you, and through a series of being an idiot/jerkface/"I'll show you with knowledge!" moments, I realized that while I was not Wiccan in the truest sense of the word, the things which drew me to Scott's book weren't hooey, but rather the need to find something that worked for me spiritually was what I was looking for all along. So, with Aislynn and tons of time on my hands, I found that renaming my path, DRW was the best thing for me, and the best way to fix the issue of massive misinformation I feel that many solitaries like me are forced to dodge, and really hinders us from exploring our spirituality within a pagan mainframe if you will. Fluffy, once looking back on it, is the start for many of us, so being blindly ashamed of it isn't the best course of action, you have to meet the challenge and really take the time to get it before you get anything real back from it.
I enjoyed Cunningham. I did have a brief interlude with the "solitaries are absolutely true Wica as they come, oh yeah-who initiated the first witch, covens are control cults" idea that typifies his fanbase, but I never got quite as fervent about it as many do today. Nor did I ever grasp the idea of "Wicca, it's anything you want it to be", either- not then or now. It just does not compute.
Sang!

I love this post mainly because in my opinion, those who truly find the term offensive, are those who are unwilling to learn about true magic. During my first days at WT (which wasn't all that long ago) i sat hesitantly on the outskirts of main chat debating on how to say things without appearing to be fluffy... Which i was a little bit, and i remember being terrified of being called a fluffy bunny.

Thankfully for me no one just blatantly came out and called me one, used in form of insult. It was a friend, who kindly pointed out a few of my fluffy ways, Which i set out immediately to change... and here i am just a few months later...A dedicant in an Alexandrian coven... If you put your mind to it you can go a long way in a very little amount of time.

Thanks for posting this...
Blessings,
MoonShimmer

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Steve Paine created this Ning Network.

© 2017   Created by Steve Paine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Pagan Top Sites List