RealPagan- Paganism for the Real World

The purpose of this post is to provide some common definitions for our site. There has been a long-running argument on various sites, of what some terms mean. To prevent this from continuing here, for the purpose of discussions, we ask that the following terminology be used. It should be understood that these categories do not imply that one is better than one another, only that they are not all the same.
This is lovingly stolen and slightly modified from Sangraal's blog.

British Traditional Wicca: This is the form that is accurately known as Wicca and how it will be understood on this site. Borrowing the definition from the Amber & Jet list:
"Wicca" refers specifically to the lineaged, initiatory mystery religion with roots in the New Forest region of Great Britain, manifested today through various "traditions" all linked with a common ancestry back to the New Forest area. "Wiccans" or "The Wica" are the properly lineaged, properly initiated members of those Traditions. Understanding this, we see that Wicca is well defined with a special emphasis on "initiation" and "lineage" back to (at the very least) the coven under the operation of Gardner/Valiente. The most noted Traditions are "Gardnerian", "Alexandrian" and "Central Valley Wicca".

Traditional Initiatory Witchcraft: This refers to the form of Witchcraft that is both initiatory, and therefore lineaged through an established tradition, but whose lineage does not necessarily go back to the New Forest region, and is therefore not technically Wicca. It can be a considerable broad term encompassing many forms of Non-Wiccan forms of Witchcraft with little to no bearing on what is understood as Wicca and therefore may exclude any resemblance to Wicca. Often, it is formed from covens that base their material on the public information known of Wicca and, although this part is under some debate, a tradition is born after two consecutive initiatory generations. In some cases, TIW covens are those that have broke off from BTW in order to manifest their own ideals that are no longer in sync with that Tradition. To sum it up, any coven that's formally a Tradition, that is not Wiccan can be considered Traditional Initiatory Witchcraft. Some examples of TIW would be "Oak, Ash and Thorn", "1734 Tradition", "Dianicism" and "Georgian Wicca" (although the Georgians use the term "Wicca" they are not BTW by their own website's admission).

It should be noted that those whom publicly declare that they identify with any particular Tradition, whether in the BTW or the TIW spectrum, may be requested to prove their Traditional affiliation through "vetting".

Dedicatory Religious Witchcraft: This is a relatively new term replacing such previous labels as "Neo-Wicca", "Solitary Wicca" or "Outer-Court Wicca". DRW is based upon Wiccan principles but holds no initiatory lineage to Wicca. This most accurately defines the vast majority of individuals of which identify with Wicca, practice on a mostly solitary basis, and are not initiated into any coven structure. This term was coined in respect to both the Traditional Wica and the practitioners of this methodology. It allows solitary witches to more readily identify with a system that allows more room to "tailor-fit" to their personal needs without imposing Wicca as a "whatever you want it to be" ideology. DRW is largely based upon "outer-court" material which is information derived from any number of books in print- i.e. if it's public information, it is outer-court. For more info regarding DRW, see YarrowSage's and Aislynns' group HERE.

Witchcraft:

There is yet another kind of Witchcraft of which many identify, however those that fall into this practice are very difficult to categorize due to a lack of large-scale conformity. It can be a variety of things, from eclectic to ethno-centric. It may or may not have religious components as some forms of Witchcraft identify little (if any) to any form of Deity. Such forms may be purely personalized or in the budding stages of a "famtrad". It may have little to no relationship to Wiccan practice and be completely outside of the "norm" to modern pagans. In whatever form or praxis it exists, it should be understood that practicing witchcraft is ultimately that which makes a witch, and therefore such practitioners are true and valid witches.

British Traditional Witchcraft (Not to be confused with British Traditional Wicca).

This term is sometimes used as an alternative to simply calling what one does Witchcraft.  It is heavily based on the folk magic practices of the British Isles.  Practitioners may approach it as a religious practice or may simply view it as working with Nature or with ancestors or the land.  Some British Traditional Witches practice in covens, but many do not.  British Traditional Witches try to avoid the use of such eastern concepts as Karma in their belief systems.  They do not ascribe to the Wiccan Rede, but they do have their own ethical standards.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, just as not all witches identify with one particular tradition, practice or even a set of ethics, not all that identify as Wicca are technically Wiccan. It most accurately identifies with a very small minority of those within the pagan community. However, I cannot stress it enough that this does not mean that other forms of Witchcraft, no matter how close or far from Wicca, are in any means inferior. It simply means that they are different. Why categorize and place an emphasis correct labeling? Because it honestly allows for the most personal growth when we work within the praxis that we most truthfully operate. It respects those that have fought for and maintained Tradition and for those that carry on the torch into future generations and wish for it to be understood for what it is- rather than whatever others want it to be.

Edited by Lark 1/27/2012 to differentiate between British Traditional Wicca and British Traditional Witchcraft.

Views: 449

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep, it is sad that they left so quickly, because I would tend to agree that the initial definition of British Traditional Witchcraft given by the OP is probably incorrect...as Persephone pointed out.  British Traditional Witchcraft and British Traditional Wicca are not one and the same, at least in my opinion.  While Wicca has its roots in British Traditional Witchcraft it expanded on that by using other resources as well.  Perhaps we ought to go back and revamp the definitions a bit in a way that shows the differences.

Leisha said:

What's really sad is that if this person had stuck around to talk, there might have been some potential for discourse, and possibly even potential for revision of definitions. Unfortunately, when someone comes in, tries to name drop and brag about credentials that don't matter to any of us, and then leaves the building, there's no room for discourse.

One teacher of mine once said that if you have to preface a statement by saying that "no disrespect was intended", your subconscious actually does want to be disrespectful and your following words will be ones lacking in respect. Although I'm not sure that's true 100% of the time, it does seem to be the case more often than not.

But I do give great credit to this site and the energy therein that a potential troll was nipped in the bud without anyone having to deal directly with it. Cheers to one and all! 

Even so, the manner and the constant use of "traditional witchcraft" as if the British version is the only one bearing the name, was horrendous. >_>

Lark said:

Yep, it is sad that they left so quickly, because I would tend to agree that the initial definition of British Traditional Witchcraft given by the OP is probably incorrect...as Persephone pointed out.  British Traditional Witchcraft and British Traditional Wicca are not one and the same, at least in my opinion.  While Wicca has its roots in British Traditional Witchcraft it expanded on that by using other resources as well.  Perhaps we ought to go back and revamp the definitions a bit in a way that shows the differences.

Leisha said:

What's really sad is that if this person had stuck around to talk, there might have been some potential for discourse, and possibly even potential for revision of definitions. Unfortunately, when someone comes in, tries to name drop and brag about credentials that don't matter to any of us, and then leaves the building, there's no room for discourse.

One teacher of mine once said that if you have to preface a statement by saying that "no disrespect was intended", your subconscious actually does want to be disrespectful and your following words will be ones lacking in respect. Although I'm not sure that's true 100% of the time, it does seem to be the case more often than not.

But I do give great credit to this site and the energy therein that a potential troll was nipped in the bud without anyone having to deal directly with it. Cheers to one and all! 

Ahh yes Leisha. ;)

I'm not sure if I would want to be a member of a community whose creator causes discord within other communities. That speaks volumes now doesn't it?  I must admit a clever little way to hide a plug. ;)

Cheers!

Leisha said:

The greatest challenge with jousting with a fraudnerian, using the truth, is that the next time the fraudnerian makes claims, they will incorporate the truth that you have provided them with. It seems best to let them sit and spin...or leave.

Thanks for the update in the definitions, Lark. Anything that brings greater clarity and concise information to the community is appreciated.

And this is why I love you Leisha!!!

Leisha said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

CURRENT MOON

© 2012   Created by Sangraal.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Pagan Top Sites List