RealPagan- Paganism for the Real World

I have been researching almost everything under the sun and moon as usual, and wound up falling upon a topic that intrigues me a bit. I just want to find out about, learn what it is, just to expand my knowledge, I guess. But I wanted to know if any of you guys know anything about it, because I can't seem to find alot of information on it. Links, references, or anything else would be appreciated. :)

Anyway, Blood Mysteries is also known as Moonblood and Moontime, and it is the use of Menstrual Blood in magic. Just curious for information, ideas, and anything else. lol.

Note: It is late, so my post is, sadly, short because my mind can't focus very well at the moment. Sorry. XD

Views: 1015

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Which is why the quoted posters also gave credit to those who are of different thought.

I personally have a hard time seeing menstrual blood as a a tie-in with fertility.Though I can see why your most fertile point in your cycle would yield good results.I'm also not sure how using menstrual blood is "reclaiming our place", either. I think it would be more beneficial to focus on women's discrimination pertinent to modern times, and actually join human rights efforts. Seems more effective.

I have heard a lot of people being requested to offer menstrual blood to particular goddesses.

Pheonix Sun Ra(Selenah Arwin) said:

Pardon me, I am not offended but to educate you a little more, Menstrual blood is not just any old dead blood, It has nutrients and life giving properties mixed in with blood to sustain a life. Menstruation used to be about the celebration of our life giving gifts as well as our ability to synchronizing with the moon. Before artificial lights it was said that women were most fertile during the full moon.

"When looking at recorded history, we can understand that over the last 3500 or so years, civilizations rose up out of the steppes and deserts, and annihilated or conquered existing cultures. Through history we can trace the desecration of women. Clearly in many countries women were stripped of any value, and partnershiping in life and reduced to mere possessions owned by man. Soulless, voiceless, worthless, women became the evil temptresses of men. History goes on to tell use women were also denied our wisdom and spiritual practices. This was enforced by bringing for a code of denial known as the malleus maleficarum(1486) or  'hammer of witches,' which resulted in the inquisition's rage against women...

In the current history of the United States of America, it has been in the last 100 years that women have gained a voice. Up until 1921, mensturation and bi-product, 'feminine protection' supplies were considered immoral and were not allowed to be marketed. So realistically mensturation has only been acknowledged in today's society for 69 years. This Awknoledgment came when kotex began manufacturing a gauze 'sanitary napkin'." (sister lode moon Kisina K stepanich pg 7).

It is also not centered around menstrual blood as just an ingredient, it is about reclaiming what was taken from us (women and how it effected the world) a long time ago. That is why so many of us are starting to reclaim our natural bodily powers of giving life and being more connected to earth that time of the month. Menstruation blood despite it being 'dead blood' still has power in it magically. Once we women start thinking more about our natural powers as women we start to reclaim our power and stop being victimized by the patriarchal society that shunned and shamed us. The power of the patriarch is starting to weaken today because women are stepping up into this new/old role of what menstruation used to mean in the world.

Beorc Kano said:

I'm not normally squeamish, but that made me say "ew." XD

As for blood in general, I use it, but, being a man, I don't know much about the use of menstrual blood. Personally, since it is the cast off dead blood, I don't know how much of a tie to life and fertility it would be, but hey, it's a masculine vs. feminine viewpoint thing. I know of women that use it and I have been chastised by women who feel the use of blood is abominable.

I think it's all up to the practitioner to decide whether or not it is a valid material for their own use. Me, personally, I prefer to take the blood from my upper arm. It leaves a nice little reminder there of the dedication it took to bring the blood forth, and isn''t relying on something circumstantial as a source. Just my $0.02.

Lady Skydancer said:

Menstrual blood is used by women who wish to 'tie' a man to them. It can be put into food or drink and given to the man.

Not to gear off topic but it should be noted the act of adding menstrual blood to a man's food or drink to tie a certain man to you is commonly found in hoodoo/vodou. Primarily for the purpose to catch a man of interest or for keeping him from running around with other women. Both practices do not hold the same ethics to any concept similar to the Three Fold Law, Do Unto Others or Karma. Hoodoo especially is a system of magic not a religion. The ethics of conjure is left entirely up to the practitioner and his or her sense of moral values.

As to response to the post. I myself just recently started using blood work inspired by Beorc with his candle making. However I'm a wus about cutting or pricking myself and choose a more easier method, being I am a woman.

Thats a good idea :) never thought of using diabetic testing stuff lol

Leisha said:

For me, I'm not enough of a "wombyn" to really appreciate the magical uses of menstrual blood. Like many other magical ingredients out there, it is one I haven't had a need for.

Did want to comment on the use of "normal" blood, however. The way that me and mine obtain blood for ritual use is to use diabetic testing lancets. It is sterile, convenient, and a way to get just the right amount of blood needed for what we do with it. After all, a little goes a long way.

Well the book I got isn't just about using it for magickal practices, but back then women would go into huts and we would be away from men and we would share the experiences. Animals came up to the tent as well and there were certain magickal practices circled around that time of the month and we were known as the wise women because we were closer to the earth goddess and to the book it said that she would talk to us and give us guidence to guide the men. I guess it was supposed to be a magickal time for women back before and then patriarch basically told women they are just property and if they did any of their magick they would be considered witches and be condemned and stuff. They were also told they were unclean and dirty because of there cycle and basically destroyed that culture until today.

Also I didn't say anything about "reclaiming our place" What I was trying to say is that so many women feel and think menstruation is unclean dirty and that they are basically worthless. Then people wonder why women stay in abusive relationships. We (many of us, not all) have been trained to think like that. If we get away from that, we reclaim a sense of self and we reclaim our cycle as something to be celebrated. We reclaim our own bodies and attune to it turning inward, and also turning to mother earth. That is what happened for thousands of years before. Menstruation is a normal part of life and a key to creating more life. Why not celebrate that ability and Empower one's self?

I have a fascination with these things as you can tell... lol I have my reasons for thinking this way and for wanting to celebrate my bodies ability to create life :)

Melissa said:

Which is why the quoted posters also gave credit to those who are of different thought.

I personally have a hard time seeing menstrual blood as a a tie-in with fertility.Though I can see why your most fertile point in your cycle would yield good results.I'm also not sure how using menstrual blood is "reclaiming our place", either. I think it would be more beneficial to focus on women's discrimination pertinent to modern times, and actually join human rights efforts. Seems more effective.

I have heard a lot of people being requested to offer menstrual blood to particular goddesses.

Pardon me, I am not offended but to educate you a little more, Menstrual blood is not just any old dead blood, It has nutrients and life giving properties mixed in with blood to sustain a life. Menstruation used to be about the celebration of our life giving gifts as well as our ability to synchronizing with the moon. Before artificial lights it was said that women were most fertile during the full moon.

"When looking at recorded history, we can understand that over the last 3500 or so years, civilizations rose up out of the steppes and deserts, and annihilated or conquered existing cultures. Through history we can trace the desecration of women. Clearly in many countries women were stripped of any value, and partnershiping in life and reduced to mere possessions owned by man. Soulless, voiceless, worthless, women became the evil temptresses of men. History goes on to tell use women were also denied our wisdom and spiritual practices. This was enforced by bringing for a code of denial known as the malleus maleficarum(1486) or  'hammer of witches,' which resulted in the inquisition's rage against women...

In the current history of the United States of America, it has been in the last 100 years that women have gained a voice. Up until 1921, mensturation and bi-product, 'feminine protection' supplies were considered immoral and were not allowed to be marketed. So realistically mensturation has only been acknowledged in today's society for 69 years. This Awknoledgment came when kotex began manufacturing a gauze 'sanitary napkin'." (sister lode moon Kisina K stepanich pg 7).

It is also not centered around menstrual blood as just an ingredient, it is about reclaiming what was taken from us (women and how it effected the world) a long time ago. That is why so many of us are starting to reclaim our natural bodily powers of giving life and being more connected to earth that time of the month. Menstruation blood despite it being 'dead blood' still has power in it magically. Once we women start thinking more about our natural powers as women we start to reclaim our power and stop being victimized by the patriarchal society that shunned and shamed us. The power of the patriarch is starting to weaken today because women are stepping up into this new/old role of what menstruation used to mean in the world.

Beorc Kano said:

As for blood in general, I use it, but, being a man, I don't know much about the use of menstrual blood. Personally, since it is the cast off dead blood, I don't know how much of a tie to life and fertility it would be, but hey, it's a masculine vs. feminine viewpoint thing. I know of women that use it and I have been chastised by women who feel the use of blood is abominable.

I think it's all up to the practitioner to decide whether or not it is a valid material for their own use. Me, personally, I prefer to take the blood from my upper arm. It leaves a nice little reminder there of the dedication it took to bring the blood forth, and isn''t relying on something circumstantial as a source. Just my $0.02.

Lady Skydancer said:

Menstrual blood is used by women who wish to 'tie' a man to them. It can be put into food or drink and given to the man.

Also Menstruation blood has all the nutrients to sustain a life. If somehow we didn't build up a lining of blood to help a new fetus grow and such then how would women get pregnant? Blood is very much tied into fertility in sustaining the life that is created. If there was no way to sustain a life the fertilized egg would have no where to go.

I agree with Beorc that it's up to the practitioner to determine how menstruation blood resonates with them in regards to it's use in magical practices.  Some will see it as a great ingredient for fertility purposes, others will not and for those who do not, then it's best not to use it for fertility if that's their perspective of it.  It's not wrong.  We all perceive things differently.  What works is what makes sense to us.  Using a red candle for protection may not make sense to someone else, for their perception of red is passion and fast, while at the same time white or blue is a color that resonates better to them for protection.

Even though I understand the concept and thoughts as why it would be used for fertility.  Along with my own personal intake towards my own moon cycle is: that there is life in blood and blood (like a death) needs to be shed to create new life.  However given that, I still wouldn't use it for fertility. It doesn't speak to me that way, but that's just me and if someone else views it as *great* for this purpose I'm fine with that.  Of course I am subject to change my mind later on, who knows, although I'm not gearing up to have any more children any time soon to see why I even would.

I do agree that there has been a long standing stigma in regards to menstruation.  However a more scientific approach may be in order to move beyond our common understanding of this process.

Use of Menstrual Blood to Cure Diseases - Medicine Therapy Applicat...

Well the book I got isn't just about using it for magickal practices, but back then women would go into huts and we would be away from men and we would share the experiences. Animals came up to the tent as well and there were certain magickal practices circled around that time of the month and we were known as the wise women because we were closer to the earth goddess and to the book it said that she would talk to us and give us guidence to guide the men. I guess it was supposed to be a magickal time for women back before and then patriarch basically told women they are just property and if they did any of their magick they would be considered witches and be condemned and stuff. They were also told they were unclean and dirty because of there cycle and basically destroyed that culture until today.

Also I didn't say anything about "reclaiming our place" What I was trying to say is that so many women feel and think menstruation is unclean dirty and that they are basically worthless. Then people wonder why women stay in abusive relationships. We (many of us, not all) have been trained to think like that. If we get away from that, we reclaim a sense of self and we reclaim our cycle as something to be celebrated. We reclaim our own bodies and attune to it turning inward, and also turning to mother earth. That is what happened for thousands of years before. Menstruation is a normal part of life and a key to creating more life. Why not celebrate that ability and Empower one's self?

I have a fascination with these things as you can tell... lol I have my reasons for thinking this way and for wanting to celebrate my bodies ability to create life :)

Melissa said:

Beorc Kano said:

Lady Skydancer said:

The main problem with this in my perspective is that the uterine lining was there during ovulation to help catch the egg once fertilized. There was no fertilization, thus life was not began, and so the blood and lining are discharged in the menstrual flow. To me, that signifies the lack of life, the lack of pregnancy, etc. When life has begun, there is no menstruation (normally), which is part of how we can tell that there has been fertilization (Honey, I missed my period!). So, to associate menstruation with life never really made a whole lot of sense to me.

Just my other $0.02.

Also Menstruation blood has all the nutrients to sustain a life. If somehow we didn't build up a lining of blood to help a new fetus grow and such then how would women get pregnant? Blood is very much tied into fertility in sustaining the life that is created. If there was no way to sustain a life the fertilized egg would have no where to go.

Ahh I see where you are coming from now. I may have misinterpreted what you meant. For me it signifies something completely different the exact opposite. However, I just started this research just a few months ago. I guess the reason why I view it differently is because of personal experiences and how much I am learning about my own body at the moment and I find it fascinating.

Beorc Kano said:

The main problem with this in my perspective is that the uterine lining was there during ovulation to help catch the egg once fertilized. There was no fertilization, thus life was not began, and so the blood and lining are discharged in the menstrual flow. To me, that signifies the lack of life, the lack of pregnancy, etc. When life has begun, there is no menstruation (normally), which is part of how we can tell that there has been fertilization (Honey, I missed my period!). So, to associate menstruation with life never really made a whole lot of sense to me.

Just my other $0.02.

'Mysteries of the Dark Moon' by Demetra George deals alot with a woman's cycle.  Synopsis I found on Amazon.  

"Exploring the mystery, wisdom, and power of the dark phase of the moon's cycle--a lunar-based model for moving through the dark times in our lives with understanding, consciousness, and faith in renewal.

The moon's dark phase has traditionally been a time of fear and superstition, a time associated with death and isolation. The mythical embodiment of these fears is the Dark Goddess. Known around the world by many names--Lilith, Kali, Hecate, and Morgana--the archetypal Dark Goddess represents death, sexuality, and the unconscious--the little understood, often feared aspects of life.

Demetra George combines psychological, mythical, and spiritual perspective on the shadowy, feminine symbolism of the dark moon to reclaim the darkness from oppressive, fear-based images. George offers rites for rebirth and transformation that teach us to tap into the power of our dark times, maximizing the potential for renewal inherent in our inevitable periods of loss, depression, and anger."

Don't get me wrong, blood in general strikes me as a very powerful component in workings... any real working I do uses my blood, as a way of putting my own energy into what it is that I am doing. My Master Candle has my blood in it, my Altar/Chest has my blood in it, every knife that i use for any form of ritual has had my blood on it, etc... It's just that the dedication needed to get that blood, and the fact that I do it willingly, willfully even, is what makes the physical addition that much more powerful. By waiting until your body simply produces it as a part of its natural cycles, well... as I noted, I am certain that many people would see significance in that. I simply do not.

But hey, it ain't for my path. I don't need to see significance in it. Others may, and do.

Ahh I see where you are coming from now. I may have misinterpreted what you meant. For me it signifies something completely different the exact opposite. However, I just started this research just a few months ago. I guess the reason why I view it differently is because of personal experiences and how much I am learning about my own body at the moment and I find it fascinating.

Beorc Kano said:

Just my other $0.02.

It is powerful :) Ive pricked my fingers a couple of times to bind items to me like the way you have done. I'm just fascinated by the power of menstrual blood according to the sources I have been reading thus far.

Beorc Kano said:

Don't get me wrong, blood in general strikes me as a very powerful component in workings... any real working I do uses my blood, as a way of putting my own energy into what it is that I am doing. My Master Candle has my blood in it, my Altar/Chest has my blood in it, every knife that i use for any form of ritual has had my blood on it, etc... It's just that the dedication needed to get that blood, and the fact that I do it willingly, willfully even, is what makes the physical addition that much more powerful. By waiting until your body simply produces it as a part of its natural cycles, well... as I noted, I am certain that many people would see significance in that. I simply do not.

But hey, it ain't for my path. I don't need to see significance in it. Others may, and do.

Beorc Kano said:

Just my other $0.02.

LOVE the info thanks for sharing :)

Jeanne Cermak said:

'Mysteries of the Dark Moon' by Demetra George deals alot with a woman's cycle.  Synopsis I found on Amazon.  

"Exploring the mystery, wisdom, and power of the dark phase of the moon's cycle--a lunar-based model for moving through the dark times in our lives with understanding, consciousness, and faith in renewal.

The moon's dark phase has traditionally been a time of fear and superstition, a time associated with death and isolation. The mythical embodiment of these fears is the Dark Goddess. Known around the world by many names--Lilith, Kali, Hecate, and Morgana--the archetypal Dark Goddess represents death, sexuality, and the unconscious--the little understood, often feared aspects of life.

Demetra George combines psychological, mythical, and spiritual perspective on the shadowy, feminine symbolism of the dark moon to reclaim the darkness from oppressive, fear-based images. George offers rites for rebirth and transformation that teach us to tap into the power of our dark times, maximizing the potential for renewal inherent in our inevitable periods of loss, depression, and anger."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

CURRENT MOON

© 2013   Created by Sangraal.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Pagan Top Sites List