I have been researching almost everything under the sun and moon as usual, and wound up falling upon a topic that intrigues me a bit. I just want to find out about, learn what it is, just to expand my knowledge, I guess. But I wanted to know if any of you guys know anything about it, because I can't seem to find alot of information on it. Links, references, or anything else would be appreciated. :)

Anyway, Blood Mysteries is also known as Moonblood and Moontime, and it is the use of Menstrual Blood in magic. Just curious for information, ideas, and anything else. lol.

Note: It is late, so my post is, sadly, short because my mind can't focus very well at the moment. Sorry. XD

Views: 3657

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From my understanding, its an ingredient that can be used like anything else. The masculine equivalent would likely be semen. It adds much power to spellwork, but can be attributed to any purpose.

I suppose it could be used for anything you tie it to in your mind. For example, some see it as being tied to fertility because it exhibits woman's ability to bear children while others disagree because it is dead tissue that can no longer support life. Some would use it to tie a spell to them personally or to add a boost of power, much like any other type of bodily fluid. Still others might use it in other ways they attribute to this particular fluid like so-called feminine aspects like things related to psychic abilities and intuition, motherhood, emotional work, shadow work, women's mystery work, etc.

Thank you for the information, Aislynn and Draoi. I didn't know if it was used for a specific purpose or if there were other purposes for it. This is the first I have heard of it, as I think I mentioned. From what little I could find on it, I read that some people used it to consecrate tools. How did they do this without staining the wooden tools? XD

Perhaps it did. I wouldnt be surprised as it would serve as a reminder of the consecration and protection.

Fiachna said:

Thank you for the information, Aislynn and Draoi. I didn't know if it was used for a specific purpose or if there were other purposes for it. This is the first I have heard of it, as I think I mentioned. From what little I could find on it, I read that some people used it to consecrate tools. How did they do this without staining the wooden tools? XD

Menstrual blood is used by women who wish to 'tie' a man to them. It can be put into food or drink and given to the man.

If you mix your menstrual blood with his sperm, it will tie you both together. Put together a love sachet with Love: crystals, charms, dried herbs, dried rose petals, etc. Add to this a piece of natural cotton or silk fabric which has menstrual blood and sperm soaked into it. Put it under your mattress and it will bind you together. If he finds it the spell will be broken.

x

Probably true. However, bindings arent something I would ever recommend. Ethically, its unwise, but even if that wasnt a factor it simply shows a lack of self esteem.

Lady Skydancer said:

Menstrual blood is used by women who wish to 'tie' a man to them. It can be put into food or drink and given to the man.

If you mix your menstrual blood with his sperm, it will tie you both together. Put together a love sachet with Love: crystals, charms, dried herbs, dried rose petals, etc. Add to this a piece of natural cotton or silk fabric which has menstrual blood and sperm soaked into it. Put it under your mattress and it will bind you together. If he finds it the spell will be broken.

x

@Draoi:

Ah, that would be a good point about the stain. :) I didn't think of that.

@Lady Skydancer:

I don't think I would want to bind someone to me or me to them. Mainly because of ethics as Draoi mentioned but also because if I can't keep them around based on just my self then I guess they wouldn't stay around. Thank you for that info, though. I didn't know menstrual blood could be used for such a thing. :)

From what I understand you can use it in anything not just binding a man to you. Some people mix the blood with water I think so that it lasts longer. You can use the blood holy water mix and use it as a consecrating material, and when I was looking for different ways of making the Witches bottle, to make the spell stronger you would use menstrual blood in part of the liquid part of the bottle for a witches bottle. Hers a link to a bottle that uses semen or menstrual blood in a witches bottle.

A good book to read on it if your interested in the menstruation part is sister moon lodge the power and mystery of menstruation by Kisma K stepanich

Some websites on the subject is: (dont know if any of these are good sources, but they provide general information)

http://www.luckymojo.com/bodyfluids.html

http://www.menstruation.com.au/contributors/moonflow.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_and_menstruation

Thats just a start though.

There are other books and resources though if you want to learn more from a non famale perspective. Plus there is another type of blood magic that is not about menstruation, however from what I read they are dangerous not so much in the magick sense but just in the sense of using knives to cut the skin to get some blood out to use. As a woman I prefer the more natural way to do things.

I'm not normally squeamish, but that made me say "ew." XD

As for blood in general, I use it, but, being a man, I don't know much about the use of menstrual blood. Personally, since it is the cast off dead blood, I don't know how much of a tie to life and fertility it would be, but hey, it's a masculine vs. feminine viewpoint thing. I know of women that use it and I have been chastised by women who feel the use of blood is abominable.

I think it's all up to the practitioner to decide whether or not it is a valid material for their own use. Me, personally, I prefer to take the blood from my upper arm. It leaves a nice little reminder there of the dedication it took to bring the blood forth, and isn''t relying on something circumstantial as a source. Just my $0.02.

Lady Skydancer said:

Pardon me, I am not offended but to educate you a little more, Menstrual blood is not just any old dead blood, It has nutrients and life giving properties mixed in with blood to sustain a life. Menstruation used to be about the celebration of our life giving gifts as well as our ability to synchronizing with the moon. Before artificial lights it was said that women were most fertile during the full moon.

"When looking at recorded history, we can understand that over the last 3500 or so years, civilizations rose up out of the steppes and deserts, and annihilated or conquered existing cultures. Through history we can trace the desecration of women. Clearly in many countries women were stripped of any value, and partnershiping in life and reduced to mere possessions owned by man. Soulless, voiceless, worthless, women became the evil temptresses of men. History goes on to tell use women were also denied our wisdom and spiritual practices. This was enforced by bringing for a code of denial known as the malleus maleficarum(1486) or  'hammer of witches,' which resulted in the inquisition's rage against women...

In the current history of the United States of America, it has been in the last 100 years that women have gained a voice. Up until 1921, mensturation and bi-product, 'feminine protection' supplies were considered immoral and were not allowed to be marketed. So realistically mensturation has only been acknowledged in today's society for 69 years. This Awknoledgment came when kotex began manufacturing a gauze 'sanitary napkin'." (sister lode moon Kisina K stepanich pg 7).

It is also not centered around menstrual blood as just an ingredient, it is about reclaiming what was taken from us (women and how it effected the world) a long time ago. That is why so many of us are starting to reclaim our natural bodily powers of giving life and being more connected to earth that time of the month. Menstruation blood despite it being 'dead blood' still has power in it magically. Once we women start thinking more about our natural powers as women we start to reclaim our power and stop being victimized by the patriarchal society that shunned and shamed us. The power of the patriarch is starting to weaken today because women are stepping up into this new/old role of what menstruation used to mean in the world.

Beorc Kano said:

As for blood in general, I use it, but, being a man, I don't know much about the use of menstrual blood. Personally, since it is the cast off dead blood, I don't know how much of a tie to life and fertility it would be, but hey, it's a masculine vs. feminine viewpoint thing. I know of women that use it and I have been chastised by women who feel the use of blood is abominable.

I think it's all up to the practitioner to decide whether or not it is a valid material for their own use. Me, personally, I prefer to take the blood from my upper arm. It leaves a nice little reminder there of the dedication it took to bring the blood forth, and isn''t relying on something circumstantial as a source. Just my $0.02.

Lady Skydancer said:

For me, I'm not enough of a "wombyn" to really appreciate the magical uses of menstrual blood. Like many other magical ingredients out there, it is one I haven't had a need for.

Did want to comment on the use of "normal" blood, however. The way that me and mine obtain blood for ritual use is to use diabetic testing lancets. It is sterile, convenient, and a way to get just the right amount of blood needed for what we do with it. After all, a little goes a long way.

Which is why the quoted posters also gave credit to those who are of different thought.

I personally have a hard time seeing menstrual blood as a a tie-in with fertility.Though I can see why your most fertile point in your cycle would yield good results.I'm also not sure how using menstrual blood is "reclaiming our place", either. I think it would be more beneficial to focus on women's discrimination pertinent to modern times, and actually join human rights efforts. Seems more effective.

I have heard a lot of people being requested to offer menstrual blood to particular goddesses.

Pheonix Sun Ra(Selenah Arwin) said:

Pardon me, I am not offended but to educate you a little more, Menstrual blood is not just any old dead blood, It has nutrients and life giving properties mixed in with blood to sustain a life. Menstruation used to be about the celebration of our life giving gifts as well as our ability to synchronizing with the moon. Before artificial lights it was said that women were most fertile during the full moon.

"When looking at recorded history, we can understand that over the last 3500 or so years, civilizations rose up out of the steppes and deserts, and annihilated or conquered existing cultures. Through history we can trace the desecration of women. Clearly in many countries women were stripped of any value, and partnershiping in life and reduced to mere possessions owned by man. Soulless, voiceless, worthless, women became the evil temptresses of men. History goes on to tell use women were also denied our wisdom and spiritual practices. This was enforced by bringing for a code of denial known as the malleus maleficarum(1486) or  'hammer of witches,' which resulted in the inquisition's rage against women...

In the current history of the United States of America, it has been in the last 100 years that women have gained a voice. Up until 1921, mensturation and bi-product, 'feminine protection' supplies were considered immoral and were not allowed to be marketed. So realistically mensturation has only been acknowledged in today's society for 69 years. This Awknoledgment came when kotex began manufacturing a gauze 'sanitary napkin'." (sister lode moon Kisina K stepanich pg 7).

It is also not centered around menstrual blood as just an ingredient, it is about reclaiming what was taken from us (women and how it effected the world) a long time ago. That is why so many of us are starting to reclaim our natural bodily powers of giving life and being more connected to earth that time of the month. Menstruation blood despite it being 'dead blood' still has power in it magically. Once we women start thinking more about our natural powers as women we start to reclaim our power and stop being victimized by the patriarchal society that shunned and shamed us. The power of the patriarch is starting to weaken today because women are stepping up into this new/old role of what menstruation used to mean in the world.

Beorc Kano said:

Lady Skydancer said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

Steve Paine created this Ning Network.

© 2015   Created by Steve Paine.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Pagan Top Sites List