RealPagan- Paganism for the Real World

Just wondered if anyone would be interested in sharing a picture of their altar/shrine? If not a picture, perhaps a description? We all have such different ideas on what we put on our altars/shrines that I thought it would be interesting and inspiring to see what people do with how big or how small their space is, on what their altar,shrine is, and so on. I'll start it off with my very busy, but working, altar. This is a TV stand.

Views: 1262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, I got bored tonight and decided to take out the new altar cloth I've had for, oh I don't know, 6 MONTHS, and rearrange my altar. Right now it looks clean because there isn't any candle wax drippings. Not to mention everyone else's clean altars inspired me :P. So here it is!

I think it is very interesting to see all of the different alters everyone has, sephira I think it is quite awesome that I have that almost exact brass candle stick, and I know I have the exacts to those glass candle sticks, with the white tapers in them

Hey Sephira,

Kudos on cleaning the altar...it's such an important and often neglected part of magical work. 

For me, one thing about an altar is that everything has a purpose on it. The first thing that struck me was the number of candles on your altar. If you can, could you share what each of those candles represents on your personal altar? I'm counting 22 of them...is that of significance for you?
Sephira said:

So, I got bored tonight and decided to take out the new altar cloth I've had for, oh I don't know, 6 MONTHS, and rearrange my altar. Right now it looks clean because there isn't any candle wax drippings. Not to mention everyone else's clean altars inspired me :P. So here it is!

Ok Leisha, Yes the candles all have significance, not to mention I just love candles and the light they give off. So here goes starting from the rear left: A 12" purple taper to represent my psychic growth, four mini tapers: green, blue, red, and yellow to represent the elements, gold for the the male embodiment of the Supreme Being, a blue candle as my altar faces west, silver for the female aspect of the Supreme Being, a man and woman entwined because I like it and makes me think of my marriage, a 12" pink candle for the love between my husband and myself. Dead center are my Halloween motif candles and to the right of Ganesh is His candle because He asked for one. The rest are for illumination and ambiance. I have candles all about the room and directional candles as well. I guess I'm just a candle freak!
Asdea...AWESOME!!!! Great minds shop alike!
Here's the one we used here at home this evening, as we weren't able to attend coven rites. (Off to the side is a bit of the ancestral altar, too.) Hopefully this file upload thingy works...
I counted 24 :P

Leisha said:

Hey Sephira,

Kudos on cleaning the altar...it's such an important and often neglected part of magical work. 

For me, one thing about an altar is that everything has a purpose on it. The first thing that struck me was the number of candles on your altar. If you can, could you share what each of those candles represents on your personal altar? I'm counting 22 of them...is that of significance for you?

Asdea--All told there are actually 29 candles on the altar. IF you include the votives and the man and woman candle. Tricky, I know.

Leisha, Loved the ambiance your altar gave off. very Halloweenish. Why weren't you able to do you coven thing--the snow?

Nah, we didn't get much snow here, and nothing stuck. It was my turn to stay home with the kiddo...with my husband and I both being initiates, we have to take turns for rites. Then add to it that I have a work project with a deadline on Tuesday, that pretty much meant that long nights of coven ritual was a no-go for me. Still, whether with the coven or on my own, it's so vitally important to my way of thinking to do *something* for turning the wheel of the year. :)

Sephira said:

Asdea--All told there are actually 29 candles on the altar. IF you include the votives and the man and woman candle. Tricky, I know.

Leisha, Loved the ambiance your altar gave off. very Halloweenish. Why weren't you able to do you coven thing--the snow?

I am also guilty of keeping a messy Altar! I find myself throughout the days bringing offerings of feathers, stones, leaves, a branch, a shell, acorns, seeds..ect..ect as offerings of appreciation! Then one day I will walk by and say...Oh my Goddess...literally...you poor thing...you are smothering amongst the treasures I have brought you! And then I do a huge cleaning and re-arranging! I have 3 Altars that I keep up all year. One is by my bedside...dream crystals, guardians, and gentle herbs help protect me through the night. I have my meditation Altar. This Altar seems to stay very clean and organized. Buddah, candles, Generator crystals and healing stones occupy this space. This is where I do my Chakra cleansings, Reiki, Meditations, Yoga, Tai Chi...you can relax here! And then there is my Goddess Altar. Drapped with the leaves, stones and other treasures I have found. It is here that I do my "work". It is here that I worship and praise! And then...there are my Sabbat Altars! These get put up about a week or two before the Sabbat and are dressed with whatever I feel they are meant to have! This cute little picture i'm sharing is of my "Halloween Display" on my dining room table...and tonite there are 2 Altars set up..my Goddess Altar and the Ancestor Altar, for tonite the Harvest is complete and the New Year begins! Blessed Samhain everyone!!! (P.S. who knows...maybe I'll share some pictures of tonite's festivities later???)

Very Festive for the Holiday Ezz. Hope you had a good one!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

CURRENT MOON

© 2013   Created by Sangraal.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Pagan Top Sites List