Featured Discussions - RealPagan- Paganism for the Real World 2016-08-18T23:31:04Z http://realpagan.net/forum/topic/list?feed=yes&xn_auth=no&featured=1 The Wheel of the Year tag:realpagan.net,2015-05-07:6330711:Topic:244839 2015-05-07T02:11:41.644Z MJ http://realpagan.net/profile/MarileeJeanKushinsky <p>Good Day Everyone,</p> <p>We are trying a new discussion about the Wheel of the Year..... We are looking for everyone to share how, and why, they may choose to incorporate the Wheel of the Year..... Please jump in and let us know your own personal views.... We look forward to your sharing....</p> <p>Blessed Be Always,</p> <p>MJ )O(</p> <p>Good Day Everyone,</p> <p>We are trying a new discussion about the Wheel of the Year..... We are looking for everyone to share how, and why, they may choose to incorporate the Wheel of the Year..... Please jump in and let us know your own personal views.... We look forward to your sharing....</p> <p>Blessed Be Always,</p> <p>MJ )O(</p> Site Changes Thursday 26th March 2015 tag:realpagan.net,2015-03-22:6330711:Topic:241834 2015-03-22T20:00:10.020Z Steve Paine http://realpagan.net/profile/StevePaine <p></p> <p></p> <p class="MsoNormal">Greetings Folks</p> <p class="MsoNormal">We are going to be making some changes to Real Pagan – a new look and theme to brighten up the site and environment along with background changes that we hope will improve site efficiency.</p> <p class="MsoNormal">However this will cause some slight disruption because the Site provider Editor does not support the site’s current theme. This means that any customisation of your page, such as your backgrounds and headers…</p> <p></p> <p></p> <p class="MsoNormal">Greetings Folks</p> <p class="MsoNormal">We are going to be making some changes to Real Pagan – a new look and theme to brighten up the site and environment along with background changes that we hope will improve site efficiency.</p> <p class="MsoNormal">However this will cause some slight disruption because the Site provider Editor does not support the site’s current theme. This means that any customisation of your page, such as your backgrounds and headers or other theme features will be reset to default.</p> <p class="MsoNormal">This will NOT affect your content such as text and photos etc. It will simply reset your page look to the default profile. You are welcome to customise your pages again in whatever fashion you wish.</p> <p class="MsoNormal">Unfortunately there is no way of preserving the profile customisation features, so please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. Your moderating team will be on hand to assist you if you should have questions or queries. The change will take place early Thursday morning EST.</p> <p class="MsoNormal">The reason for doing this is to bring Real Pagan in line with current site protocols and software used by Ning which is our service provider. This will mean that not only will the site look nicer but that it should run more efficiently.</p> <p class="MsoNormal">We thank you for your continued contributions to the site!</p> <p class="MsoNormal">Blessed Be</p> <p class="MsoNormal">The Cabal</p> Scheduled Chat Week 1 Divination tag:realpagan.net,2015-03-03:6330711:Topic:240808 2015-03-03T03:47:30.197Z Sutra http://realpagan.net/profile/Sutra <p>I have some great news for all our members. It's so good to see the site so active again and the Admins would like to invite you all for a scheduled theme chat. We are meeting at 9pm Eastern Standard time this Wednesday to discuss various methods of divination. <br></br><br></br>Whether you are a seasoned practitioner or completely new and just have some general questions, we invite you to join us. <br></br><br></br>Some methods to be covered:<br></br><br></br>Tarot<br></br>Tea Leaves<br></br>Botonomancy<br></br>Chicken…</p> <p>I have some great news for all our members. It's so good to see the site so active again and the Admins would like to invite you all for a scheduled theme chat. We are meeting at 9pm Eastern Standard time this Wednesday to discuss various methods of divination. <br/><br/>Whether you are a seasoned practitioner or completely new and just have some general questions, we invite you to join us. <br/><br/>Some methods to be covered:<br/><br/>Tarot<br/>Tea Leaves<br/>Botonomancy<br/>Chicken Divination<br/>Shambles- Scrabble Tiles  <br/>Candle Pyromancy (for lack of a better description<br/>Scrying - Crystal Ball / Dark Mirror<br/>Runes- No one scheduled, so if you are fluent, please join us. <br/><br/>We look forward to chatting with you.</p> Tips for Surviving Pagan Social Networking Sites tag:realpagan.net,2015-02-18:6330711:Topic:239939 2015-02-18T01:00:37.486Z Sutra http://realpagan.net/profile/Sutra <table border="0" cellspacing="0" class="title-block" style="color: #ffffff; font-family: 'comic sans ms'; font-size: 13.3333330154419px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: #0a0430;" width="594"> </table> <table class="title-block" style="color: #ffffff; font-family: 'comic sans ms'; font-size: 13.3333330154419px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: #0a0430;" border="0" cellspacing="0" width="594"> <tbody><tr><td class="image-block" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'comic sans ms';" valign="top" width="50"></td> <td style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'comic sans ms';"><table border="0" width="586"> <tbody><tr><td class="element-row1-inner main-title" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'comic sans ms'; color: #ffffff;"></td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'comic sans ms';" valign="top">Options:ews: 2</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <table style="color: #ffffff; font-family: 'comic sans ms'; font-size: 13.3333330154419px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: #0a0430;" border="0" width="591"> <tbody><tr><td class="element-row1-inner" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'comic sans ms'; color: #ffffff;"><p>I am going to tell you a secret. Many on this path consider helping new people to be a vital part of their practice and tradition. We actually enjoy answering questions, and often we learn as much as you do from open discourse.</p> <p>I began reaching out to pagan chatrooms and message boards when American Online was the next big thing. Spent some time on Yahoo chats before it turned to hell, showed up on the old message boards and chats. Over the years I picked up a few hints for surviving social sites like this one. Some of these should come across as no brainers, but still, here are the most needed tips.</p> <p> </p> <p>No one likes a braggart. Hubris is not fun to play with.</p> <p>Confidence is a wonderful thing but please don't be butthurt when no one is impressed with your long recitation of affiliates and experiences. Experience has taught us to reserve judgement as...big surprise:</p> <p>People sometimes lie.</p> <p>Please don't claim a tradition then get offended when vetted. Traddie types take their position in the community very seriously and get a little offended when you claim you are family in order to establish credibility. Traditional types rarely get their panties in a knot when openly vetted, or when they are questioned in more subtle ways but people who cannot properly vet these imaginary ties, fly off the handle. This is a red flag.</p> <p>Some people will like you for you, others won't. We don't need a grand entrance or invented names and ties. "Hi, I am new to the site and paganism." will be greeted more kindly than, "OMGS Help Me, I am being attacked by demons after performing such and suck working."</p> <p>There is no need for over the top ice breakers here. People are generally accepting.</p> <p>Do not expect that we all think alike or will be more accepting than any other religion. We are just as human and suck just as much as the mainstream religions. We have cultural, socioeconomic , and educational biases just like everyone else.</p> <p>No one is going to give you a hard time for being new. We were all new once and it sucked to deal with trolls and the pagan police.</p> <p>Very often, the people that most want to educate you are the last your should listen to. Pay attention in the forums and in the chatrooms for who the regulars go to for advice. These people usually have proven themselves and are more than happy to help. Be wary of anyone that leaves generally titillating if vague words on your profile. "I have something important to tell you, please Email me at yahoo."</p> <p>They have pegged you for an easy mark. Show them you are not. Ignore it.</p> <p>You will come across a wide variety of uptight, mildly informed people that believe it is their job to fix you. Ignore them. They are no benefit to you or the community. Sometimes their "real" life is not as fulfilling they they dreamed or they just enjoy being mean.</p> <p>Please, don't start calling people mean and throwing around words like "attacked" if you ask for serious advice about your brother, the vampire. We are here to network and inform, not to amuse your fantasies.</p> <p>Read between the lines. Sometimes the answer you want is not the answer you get but it might be the one you need. Text is very limited and sometimes intentions do not translate well in any font. Ask yourself if you are mistaking meany pants for upfront and blunt. Some of us don't beat around the bush well while others have it honed to a fine science.</p> <p>Please do not start recommending medical advice after reading an herbal. It is stupid dangerous and can hurt someone.</p> <p>If you are confident in your recommendation, be prepared to back it up with hard evidence. Throwing herb names into a chatroom is not the same thing as healing. Unless you have personally worked with and thoroughly understand what you are doing, just don't. Know your side effects, pharmaceutical and herbal interactions, and counter-indicators. Know how to dose and make sure you have a thorough medical history. Even if you are the most intuitive diagnostician ever, it is still the internet and you are still unable to treat people properly. Protect yourself and them. If you truly want to heal with herbs, gain certification and have some hands on experience. "Natural" does not equal safe.</p> <p>Please don't pick a fight. We are better at winning those than you are. We have a good deal of experience with "know it alls" who don't.</p> <p id="yui_3_3_0_6_1424220135615983">Come as you are. You are most welcome here.</p> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> Real Pagan back up and running under new management tag:realpagan.net,2015-02-11:6330711:Topic:238753 2015-02-11T20:07:30.369Z Steve Paine http://realpagan.net/profile/StevePaine <p>Hi Folks</p> <p></p> <p>Just a quick message to let you know Real Pagan is back online and running under new management. Sangraal has done sterling work to keep this site online but has run out of energy and resources. So it is time for a new direction.</p> <p>It is my intention for Real Pagan to run in its present form for the next few months while my team and I create a new re-vamped site on a new server with greater facilities.</p> <p>In the meantime enjoy the site as always and keep an…</p> <p>Hi Folks</p> <p></p> <p>Just a quick message to let you know Real Pagan is back online and running under new management. Sangraal has done sterling work to keep this site online but has run out of energy and resources. So it is time for a new direction.</p> <p>It is my intention for Real Pagan to run in its present form for the next few months while my team and I create a new re-vamped site on a new server with greater facilities.</p> <p>In the meantime enjoy the site as always and keep an eye open for site announcements which I will make as and when information becomes available.</p> <p></p> <p>Best wishes and Blessed Be!</p> <p></p> <p>Steve Paine</p> <p></p> <p></p> <p></p> ATTN: MEMBERS NEW AND OLD Tell us about you Survey tag:realpagan.net,2013-07-26:6330711:Topic:203047 2013-07-26T03:22:48.003Z Ms. Witch(Sara) http://realpagan.net/profile/MsWitchSara <p>I came up with this Idea due to a few new members joining lately and due to the site not being as active this time of year I thought it would be a fun thing for new members as well as the senior members to do. Just copy and paste the survey, delete the other answers and put in your own. This will also help us all get to know each other, as members don't have much listed on their profile pages. Enjoy!</p> <p> </p> <p>1. What is your practice?</p> <p>Pagan and herbalist</p> <p> </p> <p>2.…</p> <p>I came up with this Idea due to a few new members joining lately and due to the site not being as active this time of year I thought it would be a fun thing for new members as well as the senior members to do. Just copy and paste the survey, delete the other answers and put in your own. This will also help us all get to know each other, as members don't have much listed on their profile pages. Enjoy!</p> <p> </p> <p>1. What is your practice?</p> <p>Pagan and herbalist</p> <p> </p> <p>2. If you have a magickal name what is it?</p> <p>I don't really have one but my husband gave me the name from my screen name on here. Ms. Witch. Since I am married now maybe it should be Mrs. Witch.</p> <p> </p> <p>3. What kind of pets do you have?</p> <p>2 cats, Rukia and Onyx</p> <p>2 Hermit crabs, one purple pincher and one blueberry, New Guy and Hedron</p> <p>1 Beta fish named Niv.</p> <p> </p> <p>4. What are two things in your kitchen that you couldn't live with out.</p> <p>-my stove/oven I use it everyday.</p> <p>-my blender I also use it everyday for smoothies. I make a mean cookies and cream with spinach smoothie. I know it sounds gross but it is to die for!</p> <p> </p> <p>5. Are you married?</p> <p>Yes</p> <p> </p> <p>6. Do you have children? If so do you include them in your practice?</p> <p>We do not have any children yet</p> <p> </p> <p>7. List one item in your living room that you have made yourself.</p> <p>hmm...The only things I can think of is a centerpiece on our entertainment center from our wedding reception, and a photo holder made from canvas and fabric. That is full of pictures of family and friends.</p> <p> </p> <p>8. What is one item that you have added to your altar recently?</p> <p>two goose feathers that I found on my honeymoon.</p> <p> </p> <p>9. Two random items that are in your fridge?</p> <p>Red grapes and an avocado</p> <p> </p> <p>10. One item in your pantry?</p> <p>Peanut Butter</p> <p> </p> <p>11. Favorite meal to cook?</p> <p>Meatballs</p> <p></p> <p>12. Favorite drink?</p> <p>Fresh juice or hot tea</p> <p> </p> <p>13. Favorite fruit?</p> <p>Bananas or pears</p> <p> </p> <p>13. Favorite Veggie?</p> <p>Broccoli</p> <p> </p> <p>14. Favorite workout?</p> <p>walking, hiking or yoga</p> <p> </p> <p>15. Favorite color?</p> <p>Blue</p> <p> </p> <p>16. What are some of your hobbies?</p> <p>-Knitting</p> <p>-Hiking</p> <p> </p> <p>17. What is your totem/spirit animal?</p> <p>Lioness</p> <p> </p> <p>18. Favorite show?</p> <p>I am loving Hemlock Grove right now!!!! I also like how I met your mother, king of queens, Malcom in the middle and my husband is a big Futurama fan so We watch that together right now.</p> <p> </p> <p>19. What are some decorations that relate to your practice around your house?</p> <p>I have a bumper sticker on my fridge that says, "goddess bless", a "YAY MAGIC"  a green man magnet, candles and incense everywhere.</p> <p> </p> <p>20. If you garden what are some things you are growing?</p> <p>-Tomatoes</p> <p>-Pumpkins</p> <p>-Cucumbers</p> <p>-Mint</p> <p>-Sage</p> <p>-Grapes</p> <p>-Apples</p> <p>- also have rose garden, one mon Cherie bush and a queen elizabeth</p> <p>21. Favorite Herbs?</p> <p>-Sage</p> <p>-Lavender</p> <p> </p> <p>22. Favorite flowers?</p> <p>Roses</p> <p>Hydrangeas</p> <p>Queen Anne's lace</p> <p> </p> <p>23. Coffee or tea?</p> <p>I come from a British family so tea most of the time but I do like coffee as well.</p> <p> </p> <p>24. DO you collect anything?</p> <p>I have a big stone collection but I also collect action figures and comic books. My  husband and I collect shot glasses.</p> <p> </p> <p>25. What is your favorite thing to do on your day off?</p> <p>Go for a walk, or go to a vintage store and see what I can find.</p> <p> </p> <p>26. What is the best advice you have ever been given?</p> <p>To follow your heart and that you are only human.</p> <p> </p> <p>27. What are you reading currently?(besides this survey)</p> <p>The shining by Steven King</p> <p> </p> <p>28. What is to the left of you right now?</p> <p>A basket of grapefruits</p> <p> </p> <p>29. What is to the right?</p> <p>My cat Rukia</p> <p> </p> <p>30. What is one thing you hope to accomplish with your practice this year?</p> <p>-Every year I try and learn about something new. This year we are focusing on making traditions that we can celebrate for years to come. With my practice I hope to work on my connection with the element of air and to enhance my knowledge of herbs and their properties.</p> <p> </p> <p>31. Have you created any groups here on RP?</p> <p>Yes 2.</p> <p>-Illinois Pagans</p> <p>-Spice Goddess</p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> The Advanced Bonewits' Cult Danger Evaluation Frame tag:realpagan.net,2011-01-12:6330711:Topic:40259 2011-01-12T22:31:57.259Z Crystal http://realpagan.net/profile/Crystal <p>Long title I know. I wanted to share this with other people who may be new to the Craft and those who might be in search of a coven. This is something that helped me tremendously. You can never ever be too careful when searching for a coven, they will become your family. While family can have it's little quarrels and disagreements, there are other things that can creep up on you later if you aren't careful from the beginning.</p> <p> </p> <p>This guide basically goes over the "cult…</p> <p>Long title I know. I wanted to share this with other people who may be new to the Craft and those who might be in search of a coven. This is something that helped me tremendously. You can never ever be too careful when searching for a coven, they will become your family. While family can have it's little quarrels and disagreements, there are other things that can creep up on you later if you aren't careful from the beginning.</p> <p> </p> <p>This guide basically goes over the "cult mentality" and helps give guidelines of things that should be "red flags" to any seeker. Just like any other religious path out there, there are crazies in Witchcraft too, and maybe even more so since the community at large feels an over abundant need to be accepting to all walks of life. Being accepting is okay, I don't personally believe anyone should judge a book by it's cover. However, there's a lot to be said about protecting yourself, especially when strangers are involved. Any credible, self respecting coven, will actually be grateful that you are taking your search seriously enough to consider the things listed in this guide. I will attach it as a word doc., as I am a complete internet nublet. Feel free to download this document, print it, remember it, take notes with it, or anything that may help you and keep it close when you are interviewing with groups to work with or covens.</p> <p> </p> <p>To the Mods: I didn't really know where to put this, so if it needs to be moved, I am sorry and please feel free to move it to where it doesn't disrupt the flow of the site.</p> <p> </p> <p>Thanks and Good luck to all!</p> <p> </p> <p>Crystal</p> An Unkind Note on Predatory Activity tag:realpagan.net,2010-12-02:6330711:Topic:17331 2010-12-02T23:07:06.331Z Sangraal http://realpagan.net/profile/sangraal At the time of this writing, I understand this to be a nonexistent problem within The Real Pagan Network. Gods willing, it will never be an issue. However, we are part of the real world and garbage such as this is part of it. Thus, I feel it is absolutely necessary that this be brought out upon the table and understood <i>very clearly</i> by the present and future membership.<br /> <br /> Under no uncertain terms will any action, implicit or explicit, of a sexual predatory nature be tolerated here. This… At the time of this writing, I understand this to be a nonexistent problem within The Real Pagan Network. Gods willing, it will never be an issue. However, we are part of the real world and garbage such as this is part of it. Thus, I feel it is absolutely necessary that this be brought out upon the table and understood <i>very clearly</i> by the present and future membership.<br /> <br /> Under no uncertain terms will any action, implicit or explicit, of a sexual predatory nature be tolerated here. This applies to both individuals or groups that seek to engage or gather other members for the sole purpose of sexual gratification.<br /> <br /> <b>No means No.</b><br /> <br /> If you are hitting it off with another person, fantastic. If it evolves to sexual dialogue, keep it in private communication. However, <u>it must be wholly consensual</u>. If that other person denies your advances at any time, drop it and move on. Immediately. To press further graduates the situation to sexual harassment and, the next time you are sought after, <i>"user not found"</i> will be the automated message in place of where your profile once stood. This is the one warning.<br /> <br /> If there is anything more sinister found to be backing your intent, you'll also recieve these parting gifts:<br /> <br /> - Your account information forwarded to all other pagan networks.<br /> <br /> -If on certain offender lists, your information sent to the appropriate authorities.<br /> <br /> -Your information forwarded to people with a liberal understanding of magical morality.<br /> <br /> <br /> I hope this is made pretty f'in clear. This network WILL remain a safe place for any and all those who wish to participate in it. At no point will any member be made to feel uncomfortable by the sexual content of another member. Period. If you experience or witness it, please immediately contact me or another member of the moderation team. On more serious allegations, evidence may be requested BUT your name <i>will</i> remain confidential.<br /> <br /> Thank you. Essay Request Thread tag:realpagan.net,2010-11-29:6330711:Topic:14951 2010-11-29T14:45:44.951Z Leisha http://realpagan.net/profile/Leisha <p>This site has an amazing wealth of members who are knowledgeable about all sorts of subjects. For a lot of us, when we sit down to write an essay, we often aren't sure what topics people actually want to know about. This is the place for members to request topics that they'd like to see written about, and for members who are writing essays to note what they're working on. Once I get back from my pilgrimage to the south, I'll be working to update this thread in terms of essays desired and…</p> <p>This site has an amazing wealth of members who are knowledgeable about all sorts of subjects. For a lot of us, when we sit down to write an essay, we often aren't sure what topics people actually want to know about. This is the place for members to request topics that they'd like to see written about, and for members who are writing essays to note what they're working on. Once I get back from my pilgrimage to the south, I'll be working to update this thread in terms of essays desired and essays being worked on. Hopefully this will allow for a wonderful collaborative experience benefitting all members.</p> <p> </p> <div>ESSAYS REQUESTED</div> <p> </p> <p>How and why tarot is used in spell work</p> <p> </p> <div>The separation in BTW between belief and practice--does theology matter at all? Would BTW be classified as a religion or is it only an practice/activity or does it fall somewhere in between?</div> <p> </p> <div>The difference between Alexandrian and Gardnerian Wicca</div> <p> </p> <div>Any variety of introduction to the _blank_ path (i.e., if you are part of a path, write up a little essay about your path). An example of one would be the Alexandrian essay here: <a href="/forum/topics/alexandrian-tradition">http://realpagan.net/forum/topics/alexandrian-tradition</a> (and for simplicity sake, if you're writing that up, file it in the Trad and Training forum). Some examples of requested ones include Shinto, Asatru, any of the myriad Ceremonialist paths, any of the myriad First Nations paths, the Luciferian path, Hoodoo and Conjure, etc. If it is something that you've got a group about, write an introductory essay on it. :)</div> <p> </p> <div>Akashic records and akasha--would like to know more about this and how it pertains to the universe</div> <p> </p> <div>ESSAYS BEING WORKED ON</div> <p> </p> <p> </p> <div>Ways for severe empaths to manage their ability while living in the modern world--being worked on by Flammeous</div> <p> </p> <div>ESSAYS COMPLETED</div> <p><br/><br/></p> <div><div>What is the purpose of casting a circle? Available here: <a href="/forum/topics/why-do-we-cast-a-circle">http://realpagan.net/forum/topics/why-do-we-cast-a-circle</a> </div> </div> <p> </p> <div>Rune Craft-- Available here: <a target="_blank" href="/forum/topics/eclectic-runecraft-what-are" rel="nofollow">http://realpagan.net/forum/topics/eclectic-runecraft-what-are</a> </div> <p> </p> <div>Hellenism -- Available here: <a href="/forum/topics/hellenism-1">http://realpagan.net/forum/topics/hellenism-1</a> </div> <p> </p> <div>Gardnerian tradition -- Available here: <a href="/forum/topics/a-statement-of-practice-the">http://realpagan.net/forum/topics/a-statement-of-practice-the</a></div> The Dweller on the Threshold tag:realpagan.net,2010-11-15:6330711:Topic:6934 2010-11-15T19:34:40.934Z Oakthorne http://realpagan.net/profile/oakthorne So, let's talk about the Dweller.<br></br><br></br>Within each of us exists a thing we like to call the Dweller on the Threshold. If you understand<br /> the process of spiritual evolution to be like walking through a door,<br /> the Dweller on the Threshold is the bouncer who is there to keep you<br /> from walking through that door.<br></br><br></br>Now, it's not malicious. It's not doing this because it's evil - it's just content. It likes you just the<br /> way you are, warts and all. Truthfully, it has some measure of… So, let's talk about the Dweller.<br/><br/>Within each of us exists a thing we like to call the Dweller on the Threshold. If you understand<br /> the process of spiritual evolution to be like walking through a door,<br /> the Dweller on the Threshold is the bouncer who is there to keep you<br /> from walking through that door.<br/><br/>Now, it's not malicious. It's not doing this because it's evil - it's just content. It likes you just the<br /> way you are, warts and all. Truthfully, it has some measure of control<br /> over you (as you'll see in a few moments), just enough to keep you just<br /> the way you are. It's desires can be thought of as circuitious: it wants<br /> to keep you just as you are so it can keep control over you, so it<br /> exerts control over you to keep you just as you are.<br/><br/>(It is also not an external entity, mind. It's part of you. We all contain within us multitudes.)<br/><br/>The Dweller on the Threshold is a personification of the intellectual fear<br /> that keeps us from interacting with Deep Mind. In a very real way, the<br /> Dweller on the Threshold is there to prevent us from accessing our magic<br /> and our gods, as it is the inherent human fear of transformation and<br /> change.<br/><br/>The Dweller's finest tools are our fear and our low self-esteem. When we become stronger people through the initiatory<br /> crucible of the Craft, we weaken the hold of the Dweller on us, prying<br /> its fingers away from the passage to the Deep Mind. Thus, the Dweller<br /> fights those situations where we bypass it and begin to touch Deep Mind.<br/><br/>The Dweller usually works in four stages. Through our time in the Craft, we<br /> move through these stages. It is important that you come to recognize<br /> when the Dweller is at work. These stages are:<br/><br/><ul> <li><span style="font-weight: bold;">Embarrassment:</span> <span style="font-style: italic;">I feel stupid.</span> This stage is the most common among new witches. Our culture tends to be devoid of ritual, or even if we come from a society that still uses<br /> it, ritual is normally something someone else does. This is the moment<br /> where you realize how "ridiculous" you look, standing there in robes,<br /> with a bunch of other robed people, drawing things in the air with your<br /> knife.</li> <li><span style="font-weight: bold;">Resentment:</span> <span style="font-style: italic;">This is stupid.</span> This is another early Dweller reaction. Rather than being turned inward, however, it is externalized: you find all of this stuff you're<br /> doing to be utter nonsense, and you can't for the life of you figure out<br /> why you're participating. It's stupid, it's silly and it's juvenile, a<br /> bunch of adults getting together to play make-believe.</li> <li><span style="font-weight: bold;">Enervation:</span> <span style="font-style: italic;">I'm tired; I'm in pain</span>. Once the stages of embarrassment and resentment have been pushed through, this is the most common one: a feeling of low energy. It may<br /> manifest as bodily pain (particularly in those with chronic issues) or<br /> simply feeling too tired - the thought of ritual is just exhausting or<br /> unappealing. It often manifests as the urge to "just spend some time<br /> with one another, instead of bothering with ritual."</li> <li><span style="font-weight: bold;">Apathy:</span> <span style="font-style: italic;">I'm bored.</span> One of the latter stages of the Dweller's attempts to derail spiritual progress is boredom or apathy. It starts to seem like you do the same<br /> thing, all the time. Ritual has become rote, with no feeling in it. The<br /> Dweller actually takes advantage of the urge to delve deeper into<br /> spirituality by creating the illusion that what you're doing now is<br /> actually blocking your spiritual progress, creating the desire to run<br /> off and find something new, when in truth, we delve deeper through<br /> continued and disciplined use of our praxis. You don't dig a deeper hole<br /> by moving from spot to spot; you have to stand in one place and keep<br /> digging there.</li> </ul> The Dweller can be a very difficult foe to deal with, even for<br /> experienced witches. It has access to every single one of our talents<br /> and skills - even our magic. On those days where it seems like<br /> everything in the world around you is conspiring to keep you from doing<br /> the Work you planned to do that evening, it might be worthwhile to take a<br /> careful look to see if there is some internal desire to just forget<br /> about it and not do it that is radiating outward and affecting your<br /> environment. Stranger things have happened.<br/><br/>Ultimately, it is awareness of the Dweller that allows us to defeat it. Addressing our<br /> desires to remain stagnant, to just "get a little rest right now" with<br /> discipline and discernment are the only means of overcoming them, and<br /> pushing through.<br/>