Cleansing Crystals

How to Cleanse Crystals for Magic, Divination and Crystal Healing

Oct 10, 2008 Louise Heyden

Before crystals are used in healing or the occult, they need cleansing to remove negative energy. Learn the various ways of cleansing magic crystals and healing stones.

Crystals have been used for their healing properties for centuries, from the ancient world to modern day. They can heal physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually, and are also useful tools in magic and divination.

New crystals should be cleansed before use, to clear away any negative energy they have accumulated from past owners and situations. Crystals
also absorb energy during healing, and from their environment, so should be
cleansed before and after every use. There are numerous ways of cleansing, but
be aware that some crystals are sensitive to certain methods.

Cleansing Crystals with Water

This is the most common cleansing method. Hold the crystal under running water, preferably pure mineral water. Visualise a waterfall pouring over the crystal. Crystals
which crumble easily are not suited to water cleansing.

Cleansing Crystals with Sunlight and Moonlight

Sunlight is another popular method. Light is a key element of crystal healing, so energise a water-cleansed crystal in sunlight for 24 hours before using it. Alternatively, charge a bowl of water with
sunlight for 24 hours and use this water for cleansing. Certain crystals, such
as amethyst and rose quartz, fade in light, so are not suitable for sunlight
cleansing.

Moonlight can be used in the same way. It is a good alternative for crystals sensitive to sunlight, and perfect for stones to be used in magic, as they will absorb the magical, feminine powers of the moon.

Cleansing Crystals with Sound

Purify crystals with the resonating sound of a bell. This is a good method for multiple crystal cleansing, although the process is more effective if purifying one stone at a time. Toning with the
voice is an alternative form of sound cleansing, as different notes resonate
with different crystals.

Burial Cleansing

Crystals come from the earth. Burying them in the ground will cleanse them thoroughly, as the earth has a natural, magnetic quality, which draws away negativity. If you are worried they might get lost in the garden,
bury the crystal in a pot of organic soil instead.

Cleansing Crystals with Salt

Salt is highly cleansing, but unsuitable for crystals that scratch easily. Sea salt is the best type to use, and can be combined with the water method by submerging the crystal in seawater. One powerful cleansing
ritual involves leaving the container outside for three days before the full
moon. Alternatively, soak crystals in a non-metallic container filled with a
solution of water, sea salt and Crab Apple flower essence.

Cleansing Crystals with Smudge Sticks

Crystals can be cleansed by smudging. Burn a bundle of dried herbs, incense or smudge sticks, and wave the smoke over and through the crystals. This is an excellent method for a roomful of crystals.

Candle Flame Cleansing

Crystals can be cleansed with fire by carefully passing them through a candle flame. If the crystal is to be used on a particular chakra, burn a candle in the corresponding colour. Never leave burning candles
unattended.

Using an Amethyst Bed

To cleanse several crystals at once, use a large amethyst bed (a flat, natural bed of amethyst rock). Amethyst is said to transmute lower energies into the higher frequencies of the spiritual and
ethereal, thus transforming whatever is placed upon it.

Cleansing with Intention

The final method of crystal cleansing is by the power of intention, or thought visualisation. This can be achieved by undergoing a crystal cleansing meditation, such as visualising a stream or
waterfall that cleanses the healing crystal in your mind.

Once the crystal has been cleansed and dedicated, it is ready to be used for its intended purpose.

http://www.suite101.com/content/cleansing-crystals-101-a72646

Views: 554

Replies to This Discussion

All of these are wonderful ways of cleaning your stones. One of the ways to know when and if you stones need to be cleaned is to observe them. If you notice that a stone which you use often is changing its color physically, it is time to cleanse the stone. Usually, if you come to this point, it has been my experience that you will need to do the burial method. Stones which are this used and with this much energy within them tend to need a direct contact with earth. This is especially true with clear stones or stones with definitive color such as Amethyst or Quartz crystal. Keep this in mind even with you non-costume jewelery. Just because your emerald earrings are from Zales and not Earthbound Trading Company does not make them any less an emerald, just more expensive and more attractive!

If, however, you stone only "feels" dirty, then use one of the lesser methods of contact such as the intention cleansing.

I would agree and also suggest to cleans any stone you get from a shop, be it Earthbound Trading Company or even Zales, with so many people handling the stones and them activating to each energy which they touch or have been placed inadvertently on them, you don't want a surprise when you go into ritual and pull out your Smoky quarts only to find it "icky" with someone else's energy already pouring off of it!

Great post, thank you for sharing.

I mostly cleanse and re-energize my modest collection by putting them onto a mirror, on the window ledge of my bedroom, at full moon, from 12 midnight, to 12 midnight the next night when Wax has turned to Wane.

I find that the best method for general use.

If a specific crystal has been heavily used for a purpose which will have badly drained it and/or contaminated it, I sometimes use a small silver casket which normally lives on my altar, it's lined with red velvet, inside which lives a black onxy egg,

I pop the depleted/dirty crystal in with it, using the same timing as above only on darkmoon, not full, taking it out again when Wane turns to Wax.

I find that the best method for what I call "heavy" use.

I have found two other ways to cleanse or re-cleanse crystals for use.

The first is by putting them into a window with full sunlight or putting them outside in direct sunlight for the length of an entire day. Don't leave them out over night. 

The other is by placing a citrine either touching the one stone or putting a large piece of citrine in a container with the stones. Citrine is a natural cleanser of all stones. Definitely doesn't hurt to have a few of those around.  :)

I also cleanse crystals in the freezer, seems pretty effective.

RSS

About

Steve Paine created this Ning Network.

© 2017   Created by Steve Paine.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Pagan Top Sites List